Community discussions

MikroTik App

valony
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

bandwidth limit and timeout

Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:54 pm

Is there any way to queue hotspot users when they reach their 64kbps limit to not have timeouts so they can still use msn messenger without problem. I mean if someone downloads any file or anything and at the same time he is using messenger so when he reaches examle 64kbps then there is no ping reply and when he types on the msn the words cannot be sent to other partie.

icommunity

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:03 am

One way to do this is to separate the MSN traffic from the main bandwidth queue. You can mangle the MSN traffic and give it its own low bandwitdh allocation. That way, if the user is using up their own bandwidth that is allocated to them, there will still be a little bandwidth available for MSN traffic.

hzeid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:59 pm

One way to do this is to separate the MSN traffic from the main bandwidth queue.
well pls can u explain how could this be done???

icommunity

[SOLVED]

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:19 pm

THis is how I mangled ping traffic:

IP FIrewall Mangle>
;;; Ping Traffic
protocol=icmp action=passthrough mark-connection=all_ping_con

protocol=icmp connection=all_ping_con action=accept mark-flow=all_ping_flow

And this is how I prioritized the mangled ping traffic and allocated some low bandwidth to it:

queue tree>

name="All_ping" parent=LAN flow=all_ping_flow limit-at=10000 queue=default priority=1 max-limit=20000

Something similar can be done for chat traffic such as MSN, MIRC and YM (You need to find their protocol types and port numbers though). I used to use this codes to allow our clients to get the best possible ping time to our mikrotik gateway regardless of their bandwidth usage. But we don't use it anymore since it's kinda good to let them know that they're using up their bandwidth by looking at ping results.