MikroTik App

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Roaming

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello,

I have a pretty good question which I haven't found a direct answer to on this board.
Wireless Roaming? Is it possible.

My scenario is as the picture is shown.
First basic Setup:
1. SSID on all AP is the same. Encription too (WPA2/AES.. If neccesery we could implement RADIUS on MT or Windows2008)
2. What about frequefencies? What is best -> same or differnt freq. on each AP
3. I have All AP connected over Lan (ETHERNET cable) to our switch and then to RB433 (WAN, HOTSPOT...).
4. Can I use i.e. TP-Link Wireless Routers in Access Point mode (DHCP off, Lan1 port connected to switch) or should I use MT?

Main problem iz VoIP. Will the connection break on chanching the AP?
If I use MT I can set Wireless signal Cutoff range with "Signal Strength Range". What would be good range (-80..100?)..This will enable me to fine tune the clients to connect to the nearest AP (strongest signal)...

This scenario will be used indoors but if the results are good I could spreed it on our Outdoor APs..

Any suggestions, different approaches are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Roaming

Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:29 am

Roaming between APs does work well providing the following:

-All APs use the same SSID and encryption settings
-None of the APs are DHCP servers or perform NAT
-All of the APs just bridge the wireless customer on the WLAN to the Ethernet and all Ethernets are backhauled to a common NAT and common DHCP server.
-again - the WLAN on all APs are bridged together and all clients on the APs are on the same common IP network.

re roaming when using a wireless VoIP device - Yes it works well.
There must be overlapping coverage between your APs. If you are in a phone call using a wireless VoIP device and you leave the coverage area of an AP, there must be another AP (same SSID/network) you can roam to. This will permit you to keep the connection as you switch between APs.

Note - there might be a quick brief pause during a VoIP connection as you roam and change to another AP, but it is pretty quick and will not drop the call.

- note - along the lines of what you are asking about - I am considering a project with 3,500 APs in customer homes which could permit a customer with a VoIP sip based phone to drive around town and maintain their VoIP sip phone call. The config would be a secondary SSID on all customer in-home internet accounts - the secondary SSID would not be directly for the customer homes - it would be configured only for my multi-city VoIP sip network. Almost like a cell phone company...

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Excellent

I have setup just like you said but I am curious about frequencies.. Do you use the same freq for all AP or do you vary them so they don't overlap.

netrat

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:04 pm

Use different frequencies

canalla
just joined

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:36 am

Hello all, i´m noob testing this product, can someone tell me how to configure this escenario?

Thanks