Community discussions

MikroTik App

zatara
Topic Author

Wireless Apartment Complex Not Working So Well

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:21 am

I installed a wireless hotspot system in a 3 building apartment complex. I originally thought the design and configuration was quiet awesome, but it is now turned quite troublesome. Here is the design:

Each building is setup with a a box mounted to the back of the building. Inside the box is the POE adapters and an RB411 with an R52HN (MMCX Variety). Connected to the RB411 ethernet port is an ethernet cable that is connected to a Nano Station that is being used for backhaul. From the MMCX connector I am connected to an N Bulkhead. Then I have a 3 foot LMR 400 cable that connects to an Enginius EAG-2408 8dBi Omni. The Omni is mounted to the back of the building. All the tenants will connect to the R52HN via their wireless in their laptops or computers.

I have tested the backhauls first and I can get 40 Megs+ upload and down, so I do not believe Nanostations are to blame.

The issue is that people have very low transfer speeds and are not able to stay connected. Also they are getting packetloss. I have noticed a lot of wireless around and figure a lot of the problem is interference. I have setup other wireless systems in high congested areas before and haven't had nearly this much trouble since my AP was closest. You know that you will get some slowing, but 200 k max is ridiculous.

Also I am using WPA for some people and others are using the Mikrotik Hotspot. The maximum distance a client connecting to the AP is 120 ft and about 13 ft up.

So, what I am searching for here is some guidance. I know the R52HN card is 320 mWatts and the Omni is 8 dBi, do I need a larger Omni? Or is the Enginius Omni junk? I really doubt the R52HN is the problem because it has 320 mWatts of power alone.... I am at a loss, I would really like some help to optimize this setup. I can post my config if necessary as well.

Thanks,

-Zatara

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Wireless Apartment Complex Not Working So Well

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:24 am

Since you leave out a lot of information here are some ideas that might work:

--replace omni with directional antenna: 8 dbi is way to narrow, plus directional antenna will eliminate interference. MD24-12 might work but it all depends how wide and high the building is (I'm assuming 2 floors).

--if you can, drill a hole through and install the antenna on the inside

--120ft of distance is too far. What you end up is client side showing strong signal but your AP will not hear it.

--use site survey software to determine best placement for your antenna

zatara
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:09 am

Since you leave out a lot of information here are some ideas that might work:

--replace omni with directional antenna: 8 dbi is way to narrow, plus directional antenna will eliminate interference. MD24-12 might work but it all depends how wide and high the building is (I'm assuming 2 floors).

--if you can, drill a hole through and install the antenna on the inside

--120ft of distance is too far. What you end up is client side showing strong signal but your AP will not hear it.

--use site survey software to determine best placement for your antenna
Thanks for the ideas. I wanted to keep it on the outside so if there are any issues with the equipment has issues, it is serviceable without entering tenants premise. The buildings are 2 stories. Right now most of the laptops that I see connected have a TX speed from 24 to 54 mbps, which in my mind indicate the talk back isn't an issue.

I think your idea for directional is gold. And those antennas look great!

I previously did site survey with software and that is why I have about 80% of the tenants happy, but the outlying ones are not... And the 20% are making a 100% stink. Some days I wish I wasn't in customer service.

Thanks again,

-z

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 am

You're welcome. It sounds like you have them on the sides of the buildings...just how wide are you shooting from the antenna to the left and right most client maybe you'll need to look for a wider horizontal pattern.

zatara
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Here is a picture of the complex with markers and distances to help you have an idea. The people who have an issues in question are on the second floor so I think your point about horizontal is well taken. I ordered 3 of the antennas you suggested today and will get them tomorrow. Let me know what your thoughts are on the location.

Thanks,

-z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zatara
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Here is a picture of the complex with markers and distances to help you have an idea. The people who have an issues in question are on the second floor so I think your point about horizontal is well taken. I ordered 3 of the antennas you suggested today and will get them tomorrow. Let me know what your thoughts are on the location.

Thanks,

-z
Oh and as a side note, we have tried setting them up on AP 2 which is on the building to the left, and they can't get signal from that one at all really. Signal level is -89 and noise level is -91.

zatara
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:28 am

Ok, no I have people not working in building 2... WTF. I don't know what the deal is, has anyone had experience with setting channels other than 1, 6, 11? I know it will cross over into other spectrum, but some parts of the spectrum are less used and could promote better CCQ... Or I could take the approach of some of the wisps in my area and AMP the Shiz out of it.... Tomorrow I will have the new directional antennas... cross your fingers.

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:03 pm

In situations like that it helps if you can confirm that issues really exist using your "reference" hardware. Also be sure to take into account refrigerators, microwave ovens, washers, dryers, porcelain bathtubs as when they are in the path, they will create a "shadows".

Directional antenna will give you an idea if antenna has anything to do with your problem. It will be too narrow to cover the whole building (it would work better if installed at each end) If it does not improve the trouble spots then you know you need to change AP location, client sends weak signal or both.

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:51 pm

Since you're using N cards, you may want to set up both chains, which should help those residents who also have N (and may even help the others as well, if you put the two chains far enough apart to get around an intervening microwave for instance.)

Basically, use whatever channel has the least interference on and "around" it. For instance if channels 2-7 are relatively low activity, you may want to use channel 4 or 5. It may require some experiementation, and whats good today may not be good tomorrow.