Community discussions

MikroTik App

wavecom
just joined
Topic Author

wireless bridge RB433AH<->RB411

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi,

I configured a wireless bridge with a Mikrotik RB433AH and RB411. Routerboard Version 4.13 is installed on both.

When I have both on my desk everything is fine and I can just ping through them to a certain destination.
Putting them out in the field with a distance of about 500m, it's not working anymore.

RB33AH works as an AP and the RB411 is configured as station.

the ack timeout is configured as dynamic and also nstreme is enabled on both sites.

So again IP pings don't work, when the boards sits out with external antennas.

Now the strange thing for me is that when doing a "MAC Ping" from the client to the AP this works just fine with rtt <3ms.
The signal strength for the link is not quite good but you can still get up to 24MBit/s with signals around -83dbm

Does anybody can help here?

Andre

maximt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: wireless bridge RB433AH<->RB411

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:31 am

may be you need join interfaces to bridge
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Category:Bridging

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: wireless bridge RB433AH<->RB411

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:30 am

This is going to seem stupid and/or counter-intuitive but the nature of 802.11 wireless spec is that a AP will only pass traffic generated from the station associated with it (not other devices bridged off of the station.) You are essentially trying to create a bridge with the two units but you are running into this limitation. So you probably need to enable WDS. This is the workaround for bridging like you want. It took me a while when I first started using Mtik to understand this concept. While WDS is the simplest solution to your situation it is only one of many (e.g., routed, EoIP, MPLS) and also not without with own quirks and complications. If you want to learn more, there information is out there.

Basically you need to put your wlan1 interface into bridge1 on each RB. Then you need to set your "station" RB's wlan mode to "station WDS." Then you need to go into the WDS tab of your wlan1 settings on your AP RB and set "WDS Mode" to DYNAMIC and "WDS Default Bridge" to BRIDGE1.

That should do the trick.

I have probably explained this poorly and I hope that others will more elegantly state (or outright correct) what I have said. But in the absence of better advice you should try mine.