MikroTik App

foffa
Topic Author

RB 711 need PTP ?!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 pm

HELLO

i am thinking to do a point to point between 2 locations

distance about 1000m (1km) there is only 1BUILLDING IN THE MIDDLE

i want to use low cost cpe http://www.balticnetworks.com/maxxwave- ... k-cpe.html

18dbi panel with RB711
need good speed for SQL database and internet usage
question is this cpe could establish the connection ?? do i need L4 or L3 is ENOUGH ?
how to config those cpe's

thanks in advance for the advice

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB 711 need PTP ?!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:21 pm

No one is going to tell you that a 1km PtP with a building in the middle will DEFINITELY work.

However, I have seen it people muscle a very short 5.8GHz link right through a skyscraper and have it work well. You probably should just buy the most powerful dB solution you can find and see what happens.

For compactness and elegancy of solution I can not make a Mtik based solution my primary recommendation for this application as they are, by nature, modular. Though I'm sure one has about the same chance of working as any other solution. Of course, I'm also not going to sit here on an mtik provided forum and recommend competitors products. And ultimately the conclusion you should be drawing from this isn't which product to use but what type of solution gives you the best chance. I would say get something high power that either comes integrated to a high-gain antenna OR build something with a high power radio and connect it to a high gain antenna.

Some may suggest 2.4Ghz or 900mhz as they go through walls better, but from the sounds of it you are in a non-rural environment so I would say you best bet is high power 5.8Ghz and see what happens.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB 711 need PTP ?!

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:53 am

question is this cpe could establish the connection ?? do i need L4 or L3 is ENOUGH ?
as for this question, yes, L3 is enough to make a point to point connection. L4 is needed only to make an access point for many clients.
No answer to your question? How to write posts