Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

wispwest
Topic Author

ROS 4.13 + 802.11n Links Horrible

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm

It's sad I am starting to really lose hope with Mikrotik lately. I have verified over 2 different PtP links using SR71-15 cards, that each FW release is worse and worse for wireless CCQ and signals. It has been a frustrating morning, as I had upgraded a PtP link on N-Only cards to 4.13, it totally dropped link over and over, then I lost it completely. Downgrading to 4.10 made it better, and downgrading to 4.5 made it back to 100%, the signal went back to -63db (was -74db with 4.13), and the TX/RX data rates were back above 109Mbps-HT.

Aren't firmware releases supposed to make things BETTER? I really don't want to switch all my links out with Ubiquiti M5 Rockets because I love the reliability of Mikrotik, but if Mikrotik can't get their stuff together I have no other choice :/

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: ROS 4.13 + 802.11n Links Horrible

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 pm

You and I and changeip and a couple others go through this every month or so.

Mikrotik does not seem interested in playing nice with the SR71-15. They screw with the power in each successive update... even XR5 was not immune from this between 4.11 and 4.13 (though in fairness CCQ did improve for my trouble.) My last attempt to point this out showed a screenshot of the difference between 4.11 and 5.0r2 with respect to power levels. It lost 9dB between those versions and 4.11 STILL wasn't giving full faith and credit to the card with respect to power levels.

Mtik has beaten me, I must admit. I love nstreme over Airmax so I gave up on SR71-15s ever working right with Mtik and have gone back to XR5 for all 7 of my links. Funny thing though, XR5 is only maybe 6dB more powerful than SR71-15 on paper yet I get about 16dB improvement in my link when switching to them. But it's obviously UBNT's fault and btw our R5HN cards work perfect and any reports to the contrary mean you don't know how to configure your link and oh btw your post is abusive so we'll have to send it to the same place we put those 16dBs of power on your SR71-15. :shock:

Bottom line... if you have a short link (10mi or less) and will max out your antenna gain then SR71-15 and Mtik will work for you because you have enough dBs to cover both your fade margin and your "mikrotik margin." Anything longer than that and you're going to have to account for problems.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

wispwest
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 pm

I don't mean to speak down on Mikrotik, they are still #1 for my source in the "routing" world, I just hate to see such a good product for wireless PtP solutions go downhill, and that is exactly what is happening with latest firmware rollouts.

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Yes, mtik is excellent at many things which is why I am the first to throw any UBNT fanboy out on his ear when he comes here talking about haow UBNT is superior to Mtik with respect to this or that thing without considering the entire picture. I have decided that you just can't rely on either company to do it all for you. You have to pick and choose depending on the application.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 am

Amen to that :) When i commented on N and issues with latency - my threads got deleted :(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Amen to that :) When i commented on N and issues with latency - my threads got deleted :(
don't even start. the thread was deleted for other reasons, there was no problem with the wireless report.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Bottom line... if you have a short link (10mi or less) and will max out your antenna gain then SR71-15 and Mtik will work for you because you have enough dBs to cover both your fade margin and your "mikrotik margin." Anything longer than that and you're going to have to account for problems.
Can i ask a question, how are you monitoring signal levels are each end of a link?
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Normis - I wont start. There's no point raising issues with MT any more, they don't get fixed - instead you get told 'your wrong, you must have miss-configured' and so on. Waste of time and money.

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:59 pm

802.11n is just really broken, You have to spend multiple hours configuring it and then sacrifice a small goat to get it working on a link and it's never consistaint, Come to think of it neither is MT's view on it

Take this for example, We were running a single chain link, -75ish signal and about 30mbit of throughput. Antenna's were on chain 1, we decided to try chain 0 and bam signal is now -70ish and about 80mbit of throughput. Latency is still crap tho.

A couple of other posts around the forums seem to think that the cards *must* run with two antenna's attached even when running in single chain which I cant seem to confirm via MT

And please Normis, take a happy pill or something. That thread was critical of MT which is why it was deleted. I dont know whats happened with you lately but you never used to use the word "impossible" and now every problem is "impossible"

You said nothing changed in wireless 4.13 when we reported problems with it, Now this? Something changed Normis and you guys wont admit it. There is a reason our next generation licensed band network is going to be UBNT rather that MT

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:16 am

I had a AP with clients dropping out twice daily and re-associating using 4.13 + NV2 solved that – well done Mikrotik

However I will repeat a comment i made before, for those of us who are trying to run a WISP business, reliability is of primary concern, performance is secondary, and I don’t want to waste my time on equipment which spec stating great performance but after a lot of time spent trying to achieve this performance, discover possible incompatibility issues?

It would be great if Mikrotik would test an actual kit, for example:
A PTP link of “X” kilometres at “Y” speed used for this test were item A (list), item B (list), item C (list) with RB board (?) + ROS version (?) and config (?),

To summarise Mikrotik need to recommend or offer “integrated kit solutions”, rather than the present system of “mix & match”, (maybe Mikrotik are working on this already if so inform us) I would expect if this was done manufacturers not listed initially would conduct their own tests and came back with solutions using Mikrotik, I don’t see the reason why we should spend our time and in most cases without the necessary test equipment, purchase antenna “A” with radio card “B” and Mikrotik RB board (?) +ROS Version (?) and config (?) and hope it will work as expected?

As some of the issues maybe a combination of software and hardware, I stand to be corrected.
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?