Community discussions

lcrhea25
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Help with strange issue!!!

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:17 pm

I have a few towers where periodically ping times to customers get high and sometimes start timing out. These are customers on 2.4 ghz. At first I thought it was that the 2.4 here was getting flooded and causing issues because so far I have only been able to confirm that it is happening on towers where our antennas are the highest and can see more than the others but the other day I started disabling people and I was able to do it to one person that was doing about 500k of traffic or so and the ping times got better both times I killed thier connection but then it stoped even while they were turned back on. I thought maybe they had a virus but everytime I have tracked it down to that it was always constant, not periodically. Plus the thing that gets me is that it is doing it on more than one tower. The other thing I have done is do bandwidth test to customers who have the best connection and when I do arournd 2 meg pings time start getting bad and start timing out when I do 3 meg. I don't know if that last part is normal though. Any info or help anyone can give me would be appreciatated.
Thanks

Larry

lcrhea25
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Help with strange issue!!!

Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Something I have now noticed. It appears that the problem from what I can tell is occuring when a few customer that have low throughput start doing traffic. What all would cause low throughput. A few of them have signals around -78 which isn't a bad signal. But their throughput is under 1000k. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:36 pm

what is the ccq of the user when start the traffic ?
how it is connected ? station ? station wds ?
could you try to create a virtual-ap dedicated only to this user ?

the use of tdma could resolve this problem.
rodolfo
IZ0UQV

lcrhea25
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:27 pm

I've been doing some serious looking at this. A few questions and then I may be able to figure out what to do. These are all reguar station users. First when I do bandwitdh test to any customer radio pings to other radios get high or start timing out. Is this normal? I am on 2.4b and it ususally does it when I am able to bandwidth test 2 meg or higher to a customers. 2nd the customers that aren't able to get higher speed are one have have their throughput drop real low when I start testing to them. Some of them are customers with signals in the mid -70's and others are low-80's. What all can cause thoughput to drop like that? Some customers throughput gets as low as 100 or 200 even if they aren't doing anything. Could their low throughput cause problems for other customers? Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Larry