Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

AP failover - clear SSID ??

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 pm

I have a problem that i cannot configure my clients to auto failover to another AP,

At present i use another standby AP which i rename to the SSID of the AP that has failed,

There must be a way for the clients to detect that there is no (or below a set threshold) signal from say AP A, and clear the SSID of AP A on the client and then search for AP B which is on the connect list?

I have other sectors with different SSID's and during install clients would have been associated to an AP with best available signal.

OS = 4.16
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AP failover - clear SSID ??

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:16 am

Typically give them the same SSID - and set a connect list allowing only signals within the threshold that you wanted connected :) Or set up a VAP with the same SSID on your failover?

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: AP failover - clear SSID ??

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Typically give them the same SSID - and set a connect list allowing only signals within the threshold that you wanted connected :) Or set up a VAP with the same SSID on your failover?
thank you - it's amazing Mikrotik with all of it's configuration potential cannot ( i stand to be corrected) auto changeover to a different SSID once the signal goes below a min threshold level after setting up min signal connect threshold on the connect list, can i ask what use is a connect list if manual intervention is required to select another AP?

It is slow and time consuming work with having to rename the backup AP (OMNI) to failed AP SSID, wait for CPE’s to appear in the registration, and with the OMNI signal can and is poor on many CPE’s which is ok for establishing a connection to the CPE, for my next step of opening each CPE and from connect list change SSID in wireless tab as I have the set the order in the list from highest signal down, afterwards when failed AP is back online to move these CPE’s back,

I have given some thought to using a motorized backup antenna to rotate in the direction served by failed AP but have not seen one that could withstand the high wind loads on high ground or when required be frozen solid by ice?
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?