Community discussions

lcrhea25
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wireless Signals dropping

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Gotta strange one here. This is happening on a few of my 2.4 and 5ghz links. But doesn't really appear to be happening everywhere. Usually in the mornings their signals are great!!! But then sometime before the afternoon they lose about 15 to 20 db on the signal. I see no change in the noisefloor. I have also seen the stay bad in the morning but usually when I do see the signals good again is the morning time. I have no idea what could cause this. Any info or ideas here on what would cause this would be great.

nordex
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Wireless Signals dropping

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Heat maybe ?

lcrhea25
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm

I don't think so....we have been having morning temps around 20 to 30F and highs in the 50's. Can interference cause a signal to do that. I thought I would see it on the noise floor if it was interference.

lcrhea25
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Anybody have any ideas on this one?

sonny
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:32 pm

We noticed that always in wintertime mostly january and february somtimes signals droppig down 15-20db. That happens from atmospherical issues.
You can do nothing.
Somtimes in February links (south/east), at sunrise, going down from 8.00 - 9.30 and comming back normaly as notihng has happend. (Germany)
Has anyone noticed the same?

Sonny
Karl Sonnleitner
Senior Wireless-Expert
Restlesspowerbox - managed powersupply for Routerboards

lcrhea25
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:23 pm

I have in the past seen some of our links get back facing a sunrise in the morning get bad. Haven't seen it in awhile though. On one that was doing it a lot we pointed it at a different tower that made it point more north and it quit doing. But right now we are seeing some signals get better in the morning and the get bad the rest of the time....except it hasn't gotten better the past few mornings. Just hoping to get some ideas on the reason for this. We are in Texas.

gmeden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Yes have seen this quite a bit. I attribute it to moisture (in cable assemblies) and freeze thaw cycles throughout the day. I believe that a somewhat mild ground air temperature inversion may also play into it especially if the ground is snow covered and overnight temps fall below freezing. Then the sun comes up, warms the air and creates a limited "mirage" effect that apparently is created in some layer between ground level and antenna mounted on tower. I had a client early last spring who completely lost connection and on investigation , 2 other clients , one closer to ap and one further from ap had no problem at all . But from hers it completely disappeared even when running scans and other ap's showed up. The sun went down and a hour later her connection was fine. Hasn't happened since. Bizzare...only explanation I could come up with.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:25 am

You could take down the installation, make sure all connectors are properly isolated, that there is no moisture in the cables or anywhere else, seal everything and then try again. Also you could check for interference or reflections or any other outside influences that could appear periodically.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

mgutz2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 am

hello, maybe my answer is a bit late, but until recently I had the same problem, in the mornings and at night the links worked well and in the afternoons when the sun was high, the links were a headache and connections were falling all the time.
My solution was to add an additional sheet of aluminum to the wireless card, in this case r52hn and my problem was solved. Maybe you have the same problem or if you found any solution will appreciated if you share it with us.