Community discussions

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

"control frame timeout" , "medium-access timeout"

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 am

These two (new? belong to NV2?) wireless debug lost connection reasons are not in the manual list (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... Debug_Logs).

Can someone explain them?
Can someone advise on possible solutions?
Can MT then edit the relating Wiki manual...

I have one AP with two clients all running 4.16 in 802.11a NV2 mode and one client disconnects regularly with the AP showing "control frame timeout" and the client showing "medium-access timeout"

Client distance is 6 and 7 km and links are otherwise stable -60 - -66 signals with 95+CCQ's.
I had TDMA Period size 2 but am now trying "3" to see if this would give any improvement.
(Cell Radius is set to smallest, 10km).

Any advices?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: "control frame timeout" , "medium-access timeout"

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:32 pm

is it only one client that is having those issues?
"control frame timeout" means that it AP was unable to transmit to the client (similar to error message that you see in the 802.11 protocol - extensive data loss)
What board and software version the the client using?

Please try to upgrade to RouterOS v5.0rc10 and check again. Also send the support output files to the support@mikrotik.com

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:44 pm

is it only one client that is having those issues?
"control frame timeout" means that it AP was unable to transmit to the client (similar to error message that you see in the 802.11 protocol - extensive data loss)
What board and software version the the client using?

Please try to upgrade to RouterOS v5.0rc10 and check again. Also send the support output files to the support@mikrotik.com
Yes, basically it is one of the two clients having the issue. With increased TDMA Period Size to 3 (and during the day = more traffic) it happens now every hour or so.

I will send mail to support.

About putting 5.0rc10 I am not sure. This ´client´ is basically an AP with 8 clients.
We are talking about a rb433 here with two MT radio cards (AR5413). One is backhaul working in station mode at 5600Ghz and one is AP.bridge working at 5500Ghz as AP with 8 clients on it.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Does "Hw. Retries" and "Frame Lifetime" still have meaning in NV2 running AP?

And what about "Preamble", "Disconnect Timeout" and "On Fail Retry Time"?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:24 pm

WirelessRudy, all those mentioned settings aren't used for the Nv2.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 am

Ok, thanks, good to know this for 100%

Maybe the manuals can mention these differences more specific. I am not a complete no-know but wasn't sure.
Meaning probably lots of MT users are not aware of these and could be explained more and better about the difference between the now 3 working modulations of MT-ROS for radios (802.11 versus nstreme versus NV2)
Specially which options in the ´wireless´ menu of winbox are valid for wich working mode (or have them ´greyed´ out if not in use as result of the modulation.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:21 am

Actually, if you could answer some more questions, I will make a nice tabel so it makes it easy to see for users which settings have impact/can be used and which not for each of the working modes of radio.

I will put this spreadsheet here first for confirmation and then, if all guru's agree on it, we can add it to the Wiki Manual?

- Wireless / Station count: Does this has any meaning at all? Would setting it to a more realistic (2007?) level free resources or make no difference at all?

- Distance: dynamic or set a certain distance? I never set these but some on the forum do. Any advantage?

- Noise Floor Threshold: I always left these default. Does this means -127? Any use in setting these to a certain (lower) level?

- Periodic Calibration: Any use for this? Under which circumstances?

- Hw. Fragmentation Threshold: Any meaning in NV2?

- Adaptive Noise Immunity: Does it work for all 3 working modes? I presume so....?

If these questions can be answered I will come back with a nice table soon.... :D

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:46 am

To come back on my original issue, things became more weird.
(Due to other emergency not had time to send support mailt with rup.rif etc. comes later..)

Situation again:
Two clients that both also are AP (b-level). Both have 6-8 clients on their AP side. One client is 6km and one is 7 km from main AP (a-level).
This setup worked for 2 years with only 2-3 client on b-level AP's. and with RTS/CTS.
Both level-b clients (nor their AP's) can't ´see´ each other. So RTS/CTS was needed to avoid normal CSMA collisions.
But since some months both amount of clients of level-b units increased to 6-8 and each users traffic demand increased I thought it to be time to start using NV2.

Performance with NV2 is better than with RTS/CTS througput on both links from level-a AP to level-b's is more then doubled (!?!) but now the 7km level-b client has a ´control frame timeout´ disconnection every so many hours.....

Links themselves are very stable at -55, -65 rnage with set conn. rates of 48Mbps.
I already upgraded both level-b units to v5.0rc10 upon advice from MT.

Today I noticed this level-b unit with the issue (the other one never disconnects...) that it took once even 5 minutes before unit connected again! Most disconnects happen followed by inmediate reconnetion or connections. (Logs shows "reconnectiong" or "conected". Difference?)

Then, 2,5 hours later (after midnight, little traffic) that unit disconnected 6 times within 1,5 minute!
This all happened tonight.

Tonight I am going to upgrade my main AP (level-a) to 5.0rc10 as well to see if things will improve.

The only other factor that might have influence is that main AP (level-a) is on tower where more NV2 AP's are located and some others can be ´seen´. I try to maintain freq. distance of at least 40Mhz to avoid interferences. Interferences was never a problem in the pre-NV2 (0RTS/CTS) history...

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:58 am

Well, upgrading of the clients went fine. No problems.
Upgraing the AP cost me 3 boards now.

AP (rb333) has 3 radio's.
1 radio connects to 1 client (that serves again as AP with 2nd card)
1 radio connects to 2 client (that both serves again as AP with 2nd card)

All clients (rb433/rb433AH's) are upgraded to 5.0rc10 no problems with these.
Two night ago upgraded rb333 to rc10 and one client on one of the double-client-radio's lost connection.
Board is completely crashed. No more access. Not by wireless (2 cards!) and not by ethernet.
I downgrade rb333 to 4.16NV2 again.

Replaced that board yesterday (24 clients down!) by new one rb433AH with 5.0rc10 and worked fine.
What the reason was for this failure is not clear to me. Also because other client of same AP-radio has no problems.

Last night upgraded rb333 again to 5.0rc10 and now both radio with 2 clients lost one of their clients!
Both clienst (each one of one separate radio of rb333) seem to be dead again... neigbouring antenna's don't see any traces of signals coming from them. Not from the AP radio as the backhaul link station radio.
So probably lost 2 units now.... :(
Have to replace these units now this morning. In total 38 clients now down (23 for the second day in a row!9

You guys can imagine I am really pissed about this!

And all this because I am troubleshooting a regular disconnecting client on one of these AP radio's.
This client is now stil up!!!!

chadd

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:21 am

What version was on the 333's before you upgraded and lost them?

Well, upgrading of the clients went fine. No problems.
Upgraing the AP cost me 3 boards now.

AP (rb333) has 3 radio's.
1 radio connects to 1 client (that serves again as AP with 2nd card)

All clients (rb433/rb433AH's) are upgraded to 5.0rc10 no problems with these.
Two night ago upgraded rb333 to rc10 and one client on one of the double-client-radio's lost connection.
Board is completely crashed. No more access. Not by wireless (2 cards!) and not by ethernet.
I downgrade rb333 to 4.16NV2 again.

Replaced that board yesterday (24 clients down!) by new one rb433AH with 5.0rc10 and worked fine.
What the reason was for this failure is not clear to me. Also because other client of same AP-radio has no problems.

Last night upgraded rb333 again to 5.0rc10 and now both radio with 2 clients lost one of their clients!
Both clienst (each one of one separate radio of rb333) seem to be dead again... neigbouring antenna's don't see any traces of signals coming from them. Not from the AP radio as the backhaul link station radio.
So probably lost 2 units now.... :(
Have to replace these units now this morning. In total 38 clients now down (23 for the second day in a row!9

You guys can imagine I am really pissed about this!

And all this because I am troubleshooting a regular disconnecting client on one of these AP radio's.
This client is now stil up!!!!

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:30 pm

4.16 with NV2 package (it already ran with NV2. Only upon advice of MT I upgraded to 5.0rc10 to solve the problem of the regularly disconnecting client.)
Firmware is also updated.

I replaced one tower and have the failing board on my desk now. This one does boot up and run normally without the radio's in it. So maybe the radio's are giving the problem... (MT-R5H radio's)
I am testing these now..

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:39 pm

4.16 with NV2 package (it already ran with NV2. Only upon advice of MT I upgraded to 5.0rc10 to solve the problem of the regularly disconnecting client.)
Firmware is also updated.

I replaced one tower and have the failing board on my desk now. This one does boot up and run normally without the radio's in it. So maybe the radio's are giving the problem... (MT-R5H radio's)
I am testing these now..
Check what do you see in the console when it boots up.
When you try to boot the board without the radios check if the log file says anything about the kernel panic.
Last that you could try is to do 'system reset' when there are not wireless cards inside and then after reset plug them and check if that fixes the problem. Maybe some specific configuration on the wireless causes this problem.

bhartendulal
just joined

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 pm

HI

Could any help , I have ptp connectivity b/w sxt sa5 & sxt lite_5 , sxt sa_5 is working as Ap and sxt lite_5 is working as cpe....facing issue suddenly disconnect the station device
and showing error "Control frame timeout"

"6C:3B:6B:99:85:95@WLAN1:DISCONNECTED, control frame timeout"