MikroTik App

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Very high ping during the day :(

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 pm

i have a mikrotik 433 with XR2 Card connected to a sector 180 Deg
i have around 11 registered users & one of them is connected to 5 GHz but he owns around 30 users.
during the day ( working hours ) whenever i try to ping Google the ping goes up to 1500 ,1780 ms and times out...
also when i ping the Mikrotik AP from a very good signal ping goes up to 350 and 500 ms knowing that in the middle of the night or morning the connection is pretty normal,
i tried to change the frequency really worked hard on fixing it , but nothing ....

1.can the problem be from outside the network ?
maybe the incoming internet connection to the AP Mikrotik is becoming slow or something ?
is it normal to have such high ping to the AP directly if the internet was slow ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated !

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Very high ping during the day :(

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:27 am

What is the ACK time on the Wireless registrations of the tower. If you only have under 20 connections on it it should be a dead give away as to who or what the culprit is. All ACKs should be under 50 More than. If not then it is likely that it is a channel confliction.

Make sure that all Clients are at ROS 4.16 or better if you are using MTs for the CPEs.

Do check for PTHROUGHPUT as well all connections should be high. The higher the better. If it fluctuates then the CPE could be the culprit if they are hammering heavy streams.

XR2s are 2.4GHz so they can be easily hit with excessive packets. You should move to a 5GHZ network with SR-5s.

2.4GHZ can only as an aggregate use 5.5Mb so it may be getting saturated. you should always use 5GHZ to feed 2.4GHZ users not the other way around. I was never happy when we did 2.4GHZ to 2.4GHZ users. You just get odd problems with latency and packets.

Post a screen shot of your registration tables with the ACK, PTHROUGHPUT, SNR, and the CCQ this would help. Thanks

Hope that helps.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:16 pm

this explains alot,
Thank you ! i'll get back to you ASAP with the table

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks desertadmin!
i hope this is gonna fix my problem
Following is the requested Details,
This is the WDS LINK Status ( Main one )
AP Status
Registered AP Clients
Incoming WDS with the problem ( Same Status as we can see)
Ack. Timeout & CCQ Status
Main WDS LINK Configuration
TX & RX This may help or Guide to something NOTE: Wireless mode was changed from bridge to Station WDS they advised me to do that)
Bridges & Ports

All suggestions are welcomed !

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Hmm looks good. Your overall connection is at 88% which means some of your conencted customers are fluctuating in and out of a good connection range. I know that this is probably said a lot to everyone on the forum but I am going to say it too. Please make sure that your AP and your clients are all running at the latest ROS I really like 4.17. I see that your AP is running at 4.10. Also I noticed that your country was not selected. Please make sure that the CPE and the AP are on the correct country code. Some ROS versions seemed to not work so well if they were different or not selected. ROS 4.17 is really rock solid with great radio connections. I saw an improvement from 4.10 when I went to 416. So do apply the update on the AP and CPE/relay(s).

Please also repost the wireless tables with the registration list. Please show the column the additional columns of:
Ack. Time out
Router OS Version
tx/RX CCQ%
P Throughput
Signal to noise

This will significantly help me see the culprit bad signal.

Thanks

Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:15 am

ok will have them posted soon,
but i have technical quick question,
can pinging my AP be high when the incoming connection is slow? , if i was Bridged with wds?

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:50 am

The best way to do a relay is the have the ap use AP bridged mode and use WDS. HAve the relay point use WDS staion with a wds dymanic. When you do bridge mode I have notice that the connection is not at the best download speeds. If you do AP with WDS to Station WDS and use NSTREME you can have the best speeds on such a setup.

To answer you question yes. If you have a slow connection on the bridge you can get a high ping time. I have seen this when the CPU is very high. Check your CPU it should not be getting pegged if so I would remove any packages that you are not using like hotspot DHCP ppp etc (ONLY if you are not using them.)

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:21 am

thanks a lot, ill have a look at that too :)
thanks again ill get back to you

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 am

i think you have capped the data rates to 6 mbps hence ur pthruput is 4800 or less and the tx/rx is 5.5 mbps. therefore if the total bandwidth exceeds 5.5 which wld be happening during day time u must be experiencing increase in latency. take the data rate out let it be default. u r using tplink cpe's??

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 am

i think you have capped the data rates to 6 mbps hence ur pthruput is 4800 or less and the tx/rx is 5.5 mbps. therefore if the total bandwidth exceeds 5.5 which wld be happening during day time u must be experiencing increase in latency. take the data rate out let it be default. u r using tplink cpe's??
yes ill do that, thank you
and yes i think i have TP-Link with all users
does that make any since ?
is there a preferred configuration or setting on TP link access points?

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 am

On TPLINK CPE enable AP Isolation and Set fragmentation and threshold to 512. Enable RTS CTS on ur AP side with fragmentation and threshold set to 512 on the AP as well. U will find these in the advanced and ur routeros shld be above 4.10. Preferrably 4.17. I have worked on this and have got optimul CCQ.

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:15 am

maybe this will explain something ? i hope so

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:25 am

that just shows the amount of data ur clients have recieved n sent from the AP. nothing to do with the high pings

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:40 am

Updates
Guys I have been working on the network
And when I disconnected the isp link everything worked perfect
Ping was 3ms and 10ms max!
That means with no Internet the ping is normal

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:05 pm

It is normal buddy because when u d/c the ISP link the clients ain't receiving ne traffic. Just the ping packets which u r transmitting from the testing end. But when u put up the ISP link each radio is generating traffic individually and the AP has to handle multiple requests simultaneously.

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:59 pm

thanks mahnet,
the internet is working normal on Band 5 not 2.4,
i really don't know what going on !
i changed the channel and still..

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Please post the registration tables with the requested ACK timeout, with the PTHROUGHHPUT and the CCQ. This will help narrow it all down a lot of problems. Thanks

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

gringoZ
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:51 pm

i have around 11 registered users & one of them is connected to 5 GHz but he owns around 30 users.

during the day ( working hours ) whenever i try to ping Google the ping goes up to 1500 ,1780 ms and times out...
do you have any qos? 11 clients in 802.11b cant work good, unless they had 256kbit/512kbit tarif..
what wlan throughput (mbit/packets) is when bad pings appear?
also when i ping the Mikrotik AP from a very good signal ping goes up to 350 and 500 ms knowing that in the middle of the night or morning the connection is pretty normal,
i tried to change the frequency really worked hard on fixing it , but nothing ....
it looks like you have interferences from other network or 2.4GHz video transmiter

btw. at registration table most of your ap clients are tp-link. did you try change ap mode to 802.11-only-G and at clients to G? If you had not interferenced from other networks you can boost you network at some clicks....

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:24 am

do you have any qos? 11 clients in 802.11b cant work good, unless they had 256kbit/512kbit tarif..
what wlan throughput (mbit/packets) is when bad pings appear?
it looks like you have interferences from other network or 2.4GHz video transmiter

btw. at registration table most of your ap clients are tp-link. did you try change ap mode to 802.11-only-G and at clients to G? If you had not interferenced from other networks you can boost you network at some clicks....
i have 2 users with diff access points,
but yes i did try it anyway,
the same.

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:01 am

ok here is some more details might help troubleshooting,
i'v been working on the problem the whole weekend,
what is i did is the following:
configured a new station facing the Main AP with:
Edimax access point connected to a sector
5.8 link with xr2,grid,mikrotik rb133
i connected 3 clients on it,
the ping is pretty much normal and the internet is very good
i think its all about wireless interference but changing frequency is not helping,
note: there is another AP mikrotik in back of my AP.
ping is sometimes going high even if im the only one registered on the AP
i got really tired :(
can't we have a real and professional solution?

MRMISSY

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:31 am

please check your modem data
i feel that you have dsl problem more than mikrotik setup
check for Line Attenuation & SN Margin
notice any changed between normal ping and high one

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:16 am

please check your modem data
i feel that you have dsl problem more than mikrotik setup
check for Line Attenuation & SN Margin
notice any changed between normal ping and high one
i don't have a dsl line,
im getting internet from ISP with 5.8 link and i'm working as users authentication i send the MAC to the ISP so i get the ip for the user,
and what do you mean by Attenuation & SN Margin? , it is possible that someone is try to interference my wireless network
and what do you mean about the notice?
Thanks

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:31 pm

i think its all about wireless interference but changing frequency is not helping,

You say you have a RB133 as an AP? If so that is the problem. Check your CPU on the RB boards that are the AP and the BH. You must have a RB333 or better. The 133 are made for CPE not APs. Maybe I miss read this please correct if so. If not Your BH and APs must be on any of the following: RB532A, RB333, RB493AH, RB600, etc (I would prefer that order being the RB600 as the better.)

We once did not understand the CPU difference and went by the MT packets per second that were originally posted and similar problems and radio drop offs due to the CPU not able to handle the large number of packets per second. So the logical thing is to have a really good processor on the RB so if you can go with the 493AH (which are great for their price.) Or go with a more power tolerant RB333 or the really nice RB600. Do they still make the RB600? :D

Nonetheless please correct me or fill me in on the details. If you can please try to post the picture of the registrations that is very key.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:23 pm

DO NOT CONFUSE 5 GHZ LINK WITH 2.4 GHZ LINKS
yes, u will find 5 ghz links more stable coz thr is less interference. and 2.4 can be really poor even for 2 -3 clients if u r having users connected in a high interference region. check ur noise floor b4 selecting the channel.
how much bandwidth r u giving 2 the clients??

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:38 am

You say you have a RB133 as an AP? If so that is the problem. Check your CPU on the RB boards that are the AP and the BH. You must have a RB333 or better. The 133 are made for CPE not APs. Maybe I miss read this please correct if so. If not Your BH and APs must be on any of the following: RB532A, RB333, RB493AH, RB600, etc (I would prefer that order being the RB600 as the better.)

We once did not understand the CPU difference and went by the MT packets per second that were originally posted and similar problems and radio drop offs due to the CPU not able to handle the large number of packets per second. So the logical thing is to have a really good processor on the RB so if you can go with the 493AH (which are great for their price.) Or go with a more power tolerant RB333 or the really nice RB600. Do they still make the RB600? :D

Nonetheless please correct me or fill me in on the details. If you can please try to post the picture of the registrations that is very key.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin
actually the RB133 is connected to the 5.8 link with R52 to the second temp. station,
but i'm using RB433 as an AP

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:44 am

DO NOT CONFUSE 5 GHZ LINK WITH 2.4 GHZ LINKS
yes, u will find 5 ghz links more stable coz thr is less interference. and 2.4 can be really poor even for 2 -3 clients if u r having users connected in a high interference region. check ur noise floor b4 selecting the channel.
how much bandwidth r u giving 2 the clients??
frequency's is not the situation there is something else..
by the way im using one pole for Incoming 5.8 link, outgoing internal 5.8Link and the AP , is that safe? or normal ?

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:12 am

That should be fine as long as they are on separate channels (by 50 points different,) and they are physically separated by about 10 feet.

Please post the registration tables with the requested columns. Thanks

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 pm

That should be fine as long as they are on separate channels (by 50 points different,) and they are physically separated by about 10 feet.

Please post the registration tables with the requested columns. Thanks

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin
What do you mean as long as they are on separate channels? by 50 points diff?
and what do you mean by physically separated by about 10 feet?
Please i think this is important,
because as i'v been telling you they are on the same pole, so maybe the 5.8 link is directed the same path as the 2.4
does that make any since?
thanks!

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:59 pm

5 ghz n 2.4 ghz can b on the same pole i'd prefere if u draw ur network n send details. thrs is some language issue hence wht u want to say is not wht we understand.

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:18 pm

i think I may be confused on your setup. I thought you had two 5.8ghz freqs on the same pole as a relay with a 2.4ghz AP. If you do not have more than one 5.8ghz on the pole then you should be good. Usually for tower configurations you will relay to another site or to a back up BH and so you could have multiple 5Ghz freqs. If they are not properly setup then you could have confliction issues. What is your noisefloor for the 5Ghz. What does your fresnel zone look like. Does it have optimal path to the source location?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CDEQ9QEwBA
Howdy,

If the noisefloor is not in the 100 range then you have noise in the area. Check all 5.8ghz phones and competing companies by doing a freq usage scan. This will tell you if you have anything on that freq or not. If so try to work with your provider or your other end to work on the best signal from Bh to BH.

Also go to your tools and graphing section then enable the graphing for the CPU under the resources. This will help you track if it is a CPu related issue. If so then get rid of any unnecessary packages on the RB board that are installed but are not used. Like hotspot PPP, routing etc.. (that is if you do not use any specialized parts of those packages.) This will allow great pps(packets per second) and allow smoother data transmission. If you think it is not a freq issue swap the board with the exact configs it maybe a distended capacitor. If so trash the board and replace it for sure.

I hope this helps.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:49 am

i think I may be confused on your setup. I thought you had two 5.8ghz freqs on the same pole as a relay with a 2.4ghz AP. If you do not have more than one 5.8ghz on the pole then you should be good. Usually for tower configurations you will relay to another site or to a back up BH and so you could have multiple 5Ghz freqs. If they are not properly setup then you could have confliction issues. What is your noisefloor for the 5Ghz. What does your fresnel zone look like. Does it have optimal path to the source location?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CDEQ9QEwBA
Howdy,

If the noisefloor is not in the 100 range then you have noise in the area. Check all 5.8ghz phones and competing companies by doing a freq usage scan. This will tell you if you have anything on that freq or not. If so try to work with your provider or your other end to work on the best signal from Bh to BH.

Also go to your tools and graphing section then enable the graphing for the CPU under the resources. This will help you track if it is a CPu related issue. If so then get rid of any unnecessary packages on the RB board that are installed but are not used. Like hotspot PPP, routing etc.. (that is if you do not use any specialized parts of those packages.) This will allow great pps(packets per second) and allow smoother data transmission. If you think it is not a freq issue swap the board with the exact configs it maybe a distended capacitor. If so trash the board and replace it for sure.

I hope this helps.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin
I'm really sorry about my english
but you miss understood, i do have 2 5.8 networks configured on one pole
and one of the 5.8 links are directed the same path as the 2.4 Ghz link
Do you think this is it? because i had a client who was infront of the 5.8 link, link was requesting out too much and up to 3000ms
plus ill remove all un needed packages
thanks

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:10 am

What freqs are the two 5.8s on? This would help to know? Also are they in bridge mode or are the AP and station or both station. More details please. I think we need to focus on the configurations of the 5.8 GHz. The 2.4 will not interfere with the 5.8Ghz so no worries there. but the two 5.8ghz I am concerned that they are on very similar freqs if you can post the noisefloors this would help as well.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 am

What freqs are the two 5.8s on? This would help to know? Also are they in bridge mode or are the AP and station or both station. More details please. I think we need to focus on the configurations of the 5.8 GHz. The 2.4 will not interfere with the 5.8Ghz so no worries there. but the two 5.8ghz I am concerned that they are on very similar freqs if you can post the noisefloors this would help as well.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin
the one im getting internet from is 5.8 is wds station and the one im giving WDS from is AP Bridge facing it there is station pseudobridge receiving wds link ( internet is working perfect there)
but sincerely, the problem is with the 2.4 link, 5.8 link is working good :(

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 am

Ok that information is good. Looks like your issue ultimately is some sort of noise or sudden interference burst your getting from some where else. If this is so please post your registration tables with the CCQ the pthroughput, the ACK and the router OS shown on the columns. This will give us an idea of the freq problems. Also if you can do a frequency scan for 2 minutes and then post the picture of your scan. This will help as well.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

Mayssam961
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 am

Ok that information is good. Looks like your issue ultimately is some sort of noise or sudden interference burst your getting from some where else. If this is so please post your registration tables with the CCQ the pthroughput, the ACK and the router OS shown on the columns. This will give us an idea of the freq problems. Also if you can do a frequency scan for 2 minutes and then post the picture of your scan. This will help as well.

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin
You gave me hope and yes i think its interference from some where else,
ill post the requested info as soon as possible,
Check This
another thread with the same problem
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50645