Community discussions

MikroTik App

sskillin
just joined
Topic Author

Best way to achieve Fast Roaming?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to determine the best architecture to allow mobile clients to roam between APs. I've seen scripts, and read about the theory of WDS, but I've yet to see the article entitled "How to have clients automatically re-home to the best available AP". In almost all cases, it seems that the client will hang on until the bitter end to an AP, so that much of thier time is spent in -90 land with a really crappy connection. Other than havong the client drop its connection regularly via a script in order to re-home to the best AP, is there some better solution?
Thanks!
Shaun

sskillin
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Best way to achieve Fast Roaming?

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:28 am

Still looking for this answer, How to have clients automatically re-home to the best available AP. I'm reading about 802.11F IAPP but it looks like that's not supported in RouterOS. Does anyone have ANY ideas about this topic?
Thanks,
Shaun

lazerusrm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Best way to achieve Fast Roaming?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:48 am

That is a tough challenge. One idea would be to set a minimum connect signal strength on all ap's, for example you could set the mimimum DB to -85DBm which would force a re-association...

i've done this with some routerboard equipment for a mobile crane, and with the way i have got it set up there is usually a few second delay still but functions great for the purpose it was intended :)

i probably need to spend more time on a very elegant solution to this..