Community discussions

MikroTik App

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Bad performance of atheros 65 mW card

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:55 am

Hi, i put my mikrotik AP (using atheros 65mW) on my tower using 18 dbi omni antenna. On my tower, there's another 2 AP (100mW with omni antenna) and 4 AP (100mW with directional antenna). I have tried to test mikrotik AP from a client. The rssi is -76 but when i ping from client to router, the ping is not so good, it range between 5 - 50ms and most of the time is more >20ms and it's not stable.

Could someone give me suggestion about this? Is it because that my AP interfere one another or it's the mikrotik itself? Can i add the txpower to mikrotik AP? The range between my client and mikrotik AP is about 1 km.

Regards,
Lim

acim

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:05 am

Have you put different channels and SSID's on all three AP's on your side? For example, channels 1, 6, 11 and different SSID's. Are your omni antennas enough away from each other? 1km is really close and you should have perfect ping.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:21 am

yes, i have change every channel from channel 1 - 13. everything is the same. all my AP is about 3 meters away one from another so i think it's quite good distance that i wouldn't interfere the one another, correct me if i am wrong. My tower is 30 meters high on a mountain

acim

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:54 am

yes, i have change every channel from channel 1 - 13. everything is the same.
Just to clear this up, I am not sure if I understand what you exactly mean. Have you setup each AP with different frequency channel? If there are no AP's in your neighbourhood, you should set your first AP to channel 1, second AP to channel 6 and third AP to channel 11. Then, you should set different SSID's on each AP, for example AP1, AP2 and AP3. If this is already the case, then I am not sure what is going on. What happends if you temporarily turn off other two AP's and keep running just Mikrotik? Still variations in ping?

ccrum

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi, i put my mikrotik AP (using atheros 65mW) on my tower using 18 dbi omni antenna. On my tower, there's another 2 AP (100mW with omni antenna) and 4 AP (100mW with directional antenna).
Am I reading this right...you have 7 (1 65W directional, 2 100w omnis, and 4 100mw directionals) AP's on one tower? IF so there are definietly not enough channels with no overlap to run this config. Interference from yourself is causing the problem.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:53 pm

Yeah that's what i think too, my AP is interfering one another.

Currently i am using AP outdoor AP from smartbridges, but the problem is i could only add 2 client (which is internet cafe, with approx. 20-30 computer connected behind it) to the AP, when i tried to add another client to it, the performance would drop dramatically, the ping would go up to 30-100ms (3-5ms is normal). If i change my AP to mikrotik, would it support many clients? Has anyone have clients that have many computer connected behind each client? Could anyone share knowledge with me? Thank you very much.

acim

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:05 am

Hmm, do you use NAT at these networks with many PC's? If so, they really appear just as one client, so it should be no problem regarding number of clients. You should have some kind of router at each of networks you connect, then just router goes through radio to your AP as a client. I can see here people having over 50 clients per Mikrotik AP and I think even more is possible. If you setup things correctly, you basically can connect 50 networks to your AP as 50 clients (maybe even more depending on your hardware running Mikrotik). Do you use traffic shaping (QoS) and client isolation?

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:27 am

Yes, all of my client use NAT on their router so that they appeared as 1 client on my AP. But i don't know why the Smartbridges AP couldn't handle more than 2 client of this kind. I have tried using Smartbridges AP of the same kind but it could handle about 20-30 client which has only 1 computer behind them. So i am confused whether it's because Wifi couldn't let so many packets goes through at a time or any other main cause of this.

Please any wireless guru help me with this. Thank you

ccrum

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:03 am

If you really have 7 AP's then whatever you put in will suffer. A lot of people have had great success with switch ing from Smart Bridges to MT. It is a much better platform.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:29 pm

I wish to know whether using mikrotik i could handle more client that has many computers behind the client, because that's what i wish to do with it. Any suggestion? I need more advice, thank you very much.

The reason that i put 7 AP on 1 tower is that i couldn't deliver good performance to my client who has many computers behind them using smartbridges. When i use directional antenna, the interference problem is ok, but when i use omni directional antenna, the interference is very heavy.

budi_a

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:53 pm

I wish to know whether using mikrotik i could handle more client that has many computers behind the client, because that's what i wish to do with it. Any suggestion? I need more advice, thank you very much.

The reason that i put 7 AP on 1 tower is that i couldn't deliver good performance to my client who has many computers behind them using smartbridges. When i use directional antenna, the interference problem is ok, but when i use omni directional antenna, the interference is very heavy.

Plain 802.11b equipment as your Smartbridges AP,
could only doing so much small packet (eg : VoIP, game sessions packet,
citrix, sql query and so on), if the maximum pps is reached,
your performance would suffer, even though you doesn't yet
using full bandwidth provided from your wireless links.

You could get better performance in upgrading to 802.11a/g standard,
or doing some packet packing / reordering, but remember,
some applications doesn't take lightly additional latency
or change in packet order :-)

Thank's
//Budi

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:16 am

THank you for your reply, is there any calculating method about how many pps a device could handle? If i use mikrotik RB 500, does it have higher pps transfer rate? How can i know if a RB500 is overload? Is it from the CPU load?

budi_a

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:14 pm

THank you for your reply, is there any calculating method about how many pps a device could handle? If i use mikrotik RB 500, does it have higher pps transfer rate? How can i know if a RB500 is overload? Is it from the CPU load?
PPS in wireless is more depend on protocol limitation,
as example :

Using plain 802.11b protocol, we get limit about 300-400 PPS
before latency is suffer. This condition is still the same
even though we move from 266 MHz PII to 2 GHz PIV.

FYI :

802.11b --> 300-400 PPS
802.11a/g --> 1200-1500 non turbo
2000 - 2500 turbo.

Regards'
//Budi
wlanheaven.com
Total Wireless Solution.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:43 am

I have client who is cyber cafe (about 20-30 computers behind each client). What should i do if i wish to deliver best performance for them? What i have seen in mikrotik is that each client would use up to 100-200 packet persecond, does it mean that i have to add another AP if 1 wish to server more than 2 client? Thank you.

budi_a

Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:43 pm

I have client who is cyber cafe (about 20-30 computers behind each client). What should i do if i wish to deliver best performance for them? What i have seen in mikrotik is that each client would use up to 100-200 packet persecond,
It's means after 2 clients you would surpass protocol limitation
for PPS (Packet per Second). Assume vanilla 802.11b

does it mean that i have to add another AP if 1 wish to server more than 2 client? Thank you.
Yes, but using more AP you only raise the bar for a few moments,
after 10-15s AP at the same place using plain 802.11b you would
hit other limit (self interference), even though you're using :
- distance : vertical & horizontal separation
- polarization (vertical, horizontal, diagonal)
- channel separation (1,6,11,14)

Because on 2.4 GHz you only get so much non interlapping channel.
Please keep eyed for 5MHz and 10 MHz channel spacing,
it's an live safer :-)

FYI we'had good performance with sectoral using MT :
1. Sectoral 120 degree with 22 dBi
using MT 2.8.26 and g protocol,
we could served about 1000~1200 pps before latency is suffer.

We're delivering about 1~2 Mbps for each client,
and we could serve about 6-8 clients.

Please check, because for 20-30 pc / clients, your pps is very high,
do you route your network using routing right ? Not bridging based ones ?
Remember, virus, trojan, smb broadcast / storm is
wireless killer :-)

Thank's
//Budi
wlanheaven.com
Total Wireless Solution

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:53 am

Thank you for your kind explanation, i have been thinking of using 802.11a as my ap but i am hard to find the CPE, i think i need to buy some wifi card from mikrotik for this :)

Now i am using smartbridge as the AP, using directional 18dbi antenna, i could only serve 2 client (cybercafe for online gaming) their bandwidth is only 256 each, the rssi is 80% and the link quality is also 80%, but i couldn't serve more than 2, if i add another client to the AP, the latency (ping) would be very high. If i switch to mikrotik AP, will i get the good performance?

Yes, i have check the packet from torch on mikrotik, but there no trace of trojan or broadcast on my client. My client are using server for routing their client, so on my AP i could only see 2 clients on it. Have i done the right thing?

budi_a

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:11 am

Thank you for your kind explanation, i have been thinking of using 802.11a as my ap but i am hard to find the CPE, i think i need to buy some wifi card from mikrotik for this :)
We think we could help.
We had CPE for 802.11a.
They could be used until 10km with good result,
7-8 Mbps real troughput (tcp download)
and 9 Mbps combined troughput (download & upload at the same time.)
Email me for detail. I'm located in Jakarta - Indonesia.
Or call at 704-68887
Now i am using smartbridge as the AP, using directional 18dbi antenna, i could only serve 2 client (cybercafe for online gaming) their bandwidth is only 256 each, the rssi is 80% and the link quality is also 80%, but i couldn't serve more than 2, if i add another client to the AP, the latency (ping) would be very high. If i switch to mikrotik AP, will i get the good performance?
Depends on your configuration.
Where do you location is ?
I'm courious.. Bandung - West Java ? or Bogor - West Java ?
It's the only places that had mountain and interferences :-)
Yes, i have check the packet from torch on mikrotik, but there no trace of trojan or broadcast on my client. My client are using server for routing their client, so on my AP i could only see 2 clients on it. Have i done the right thing?
Server for NAT ?
Please block known trojan & windows broadcast port, like :
137-139 (UDP & TCP), 445 TCP, 1900 TCP, and p-2-p port.
Search in google for details.

Regard's
//Budi Aditya
wlanheaven.com
Total Wireless Solution

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:03 pm

Hi, i couldn't find your email on your profile, would you please email me? shielder_2000@yahoo.com is my email. Sorry everyone for posting something which is not related. :)