Community discussions

MikroTik App

Stog
just joined
Topic Author

3G Internet with RB411U

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:30 am

Hi,

I am looking to set up an internet connection in country South Australia however I have come across some problems.

The hardware I have is:
- RB411U
- Ericsson F3507g pci-e 3G card
- 22dBi 850MHz Telstra Next G 3G Yagi Grid Antenna

I have tried using the following guide I found here but so far I have had no success connecting to the internet:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... lit=F3507g

I was wanting to know if anyone here has had any success with this Ericsson card or using a 3G internet connection with Telstra.

and yes the card is on the supported hardware list:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... e#3G_cards

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 3G Internet with RB411U

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:10 am

Does it show up in the system/resource/usb list?
Yes:
Does it show in the ports list as a usb device?
Yes:
Does the board show up as a ppp device in the interface list?
Yes:
Config issue. Check settings dial strings Etc.
No:
Driver no loaded / available. Contact support / send SupOut they MAY be able to add the driver.
No:
Contact support

Stog
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:17 am

Thanx csickles, ok so yes it is showing up as USB2 and I have double checked all of my settings and they should be correct.

I am able to initialize the modem and got it to dialing out, however it will not move from dialing out.

I understand that I am using a directional antenna but I have tried pointing it in all directions and make's no difference. Where I am testing it is not the install location but in Adelaide.

So maybe a driver issue I don't know. So I have an omni antenna on order but in the mean time will probably contact support unless someone else here has had success with this modem :)

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:22 pm

What carier / dial string are you using....

Also turn on diag logging for the modem and get youself MUCH more detail...

Loog at some of my eralyer posts, as I done have access to my 3g at the moment.. for instructions to enable the debug logging...

it sounds like an incorrect dial string...

Stog
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:17 am

Feel like I am close but still no luck, starting to annoy me, might have to try another modem if I cant figure this one out soon.

RogerWilco

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 am

I've got a working internet connection with the RB411U and the Telstra BigPond Ultimate USB (aka Sierra Wireless AirCard 312U).

I had that same antenna - it is not 22dBi. I replaced mine with a 10dBI and it it is actually much better. Have you tried the modem in a laptop to see if you can even get a signal? Also, make sure 'Dial on Demand' is turned off.

If you need any help with the BigPond modem, I'd be more than happy to help - it took me 5 months of trial and error to get my system up and running!

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:41 am

please post the modem init settings.. ie dial strings..

and verify they are correct...

Stog
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Ok well I have sucess, everything is working nicely now, just have to do a speed test once I install it in a few weeks time.

Ended up having data channels set to 0 and the dial command set to the AT command the modem uses. Also had pre-configure the modem with the connection settings.

Thanx for your help csickles, the debug logging helped big time!

Will just add this link for anyone who stumbles upon this discussion through google as it was very helpful for me along with the MikroTik 3G hardware wiki:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ericsson_ ... and_Module

HermanK
just joined

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:23 pm

I also need some help I also have a RB411u whith a ZTE MF190 modem i can get i to connect but am having problems setting it up to "Route" me to the internet.
I have a DCHP server and am using a wifi and lan connection to connect to the board I would also like to be able to connet to the internet using both lan and wifi.

Help please.