MUM Europe 2020

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Access Point setup

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:27 am

Hi all,

I am trying to set up an access point using an X86 system running ROS 3.3 and two mini-pci cards. The cards are connected via an RB 14 mini pci to PCI adapter. Both cards a recognized by the system. The problem is that I don't see a "R", on the line with both cards, meaning that the are not running. How do I solve this? They are both enabled. TIA

lazerusrm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Access Point setup

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:58 am

You will only see an "R" If the interface is connected and receiving.

if that first field is blank, it does mean the card is online, and if in ap mode it will be sending beacons, in station / client mode it will be actively seeking out

an access point to connect to.

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:26 am

Ok thanks for the info. I guess they are working because also if I do a scan I can see other wireless connections..

I have another X86 box that I'd like to connect this access point to, and have that router be the DHCP server/ main connection to the internet.

On the access point i created a bridge that has one ethernet card and 2 WLAN cards. The ethernet card will be used to connect the main router. I added an IP address to the bridge. Is this the way to do it?

lazerusrm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 pm

That is "a" way to do it.

if you are just doing simple bridging, that should be just fine.

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:04 pm

I have read the wiki and searched the forum, but have not found anything else. This is eventually what I'd like to do: Have all CPEs being authenticated by usermanager of the main router, so that I can also controll bandwidth. What is the best way to connect the access point router to the Main router? Pls advise.

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:41 pm

This may sound silly, but how can I verify that the Access Point is working? I am not seeing it when doing a survey a couple block away. How can I verify what power is being put out by the radio? TIA