Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

wireless12
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

p2p is killing my head

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 am

i have a 411AH with Sector antenna. it have mostly 16-19 online concurrent user. with no issue. the pings to the CPE from AP is 1-3 ms regular but when any user start its torrent the pings goes as high as 2000-3000 and also request time out. this happens even only also a single client use torrent. as soon as i disable mac of that client everything back to normal. even a client who have a speed of mere 256kUp and 256kdown can collapse the AP. what is the solution.

Regards.

TKITFrank
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: p2p is killing my head

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 am

Hi,

Try to use QoS to prioritize the "normal" traffic and then let all else go in low priority. If you want to block p2p then have a look at this thread.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=21178
In that thread you will find some useful information both on blocking and QoS thoughts.

/Frank
MTCNA

"I don't believe UNIX is Utopia. It's just the best set of tools around."

wireless12
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:17 pm

thx for reply..

i cant do such kind of things for my clients...because i m using a Linux based bandwidth management software to create internet packages. as it does not have such kind of traffic priority systems. is it possible to set in access rule for each client in my mikrotik AP or is there any rule through which i can set restricted upstream and downstream traffic in access list.

Regards.

CCDKP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

One of the big issues with torrents and firewalls isn't always the bandwidth, but the number of connections. Also, most connections are UDP, and they don't back off when packets get dropped like TCP does.

Is the 411AH performing NAT, or connection tracking at all? If you have graphing enabled, check the memory and CPU usage and make sure they aren't topping out (doubtful, but not unheard of). If the Mikrotik doesn't need it, disabling connection tracking can help with a lot of that.

What are you using for CPEs? If you are using Mikrotik's all around, consider moving to NV2 and making use of TDMA, which should also help quite a bit.
CC_DKP: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE, part-time packet wrangler

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:38 pm

usually nothing helps with torrents if u have a point to multi point network. try to convert those users to point to point links so that they do not disturb ur other clients.