MikroTik App

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Most flexible unit for new installation

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi.

Ive managed to get a sea-front pier to allow me to mount some wifi equipment , allowing me to provide wifi hotspot services over the beaches. As well as providing local hotspot service though, we will be using this mini tower as a main distribution point to cover other units around the beach, appartments etc.

After looking through the specs of the various mini pci cards for the router boards though, it seems I may be better off using sometihng like an RB750GL with external access points as opposed to built in cards due to the power outputs.

Could someone offer any advice on 'what' to put into this location, in terms of providing a system that can be utilised for PTP, HotSpot and Backhaul without having to revisit the site at a later date to add extra equipment.

Day 1 plan is to provide a local hotspot service on the pier, with next steps being installation of small CPE/AP units at other local venue to expand the hotspot service over the area using the backhaul.

Should I go for say 3 Access points and an RB750GL (or similar) or a board/pci card solution?

many thanks

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Most flexible unit for new installation

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 am

After looking through the specs of the various mini pci cards for the router boards though, it seems I may be better off using sometihng like an RB750GL with external access points as opposed to built in cards due to the power outputs.
Which cards are you looking at and what are you comparing them to?

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Most flexible unit for new installation

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi

I was looking at the R52Hn cards comparing with the Ubiquitu NS2M and Bullet2HP for backhaul and client access, probably tied into a RB450G if going the AP route. Maybe a 433Ah gives me the best of both worlds in that I can use onboard cards and external APs if I wanted.

I only have around $400 to spend on the RB equipment ( I already have the NS2Ms and Bullet2HP on the shelves ) and just want to get the best future proof option as this project is hopefully going to go well and hence, will become a key infrastructure point to grow upon. Getting access back to the equipment to add to it though will be very hard, as cherry pickers are required to reach the install, and that means closing an area of the pier. So once that equipments up there, its not coming back down or being added to in a hurry.