Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dual Radio HotSpots / Backhaul: Will Pay

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi All

Im about to install my first MT based bigger install which will consist of :

RB1100 gateway controller running hotspot server
RB433Ah , 1 card , 90 deg sector

The Hotspot units will run an SXT connecting back to the RB1200 , plus 2xMT Radio cards to be decided in an RB433Ah

The 2x MT radio cards will need to handle a high concurrent user count (approx 100)- how do you tie the 2 cards together to spread users over the 2cards?
I am going to run the card APs on channels 1,6,11 over the site - will this support client roaming?
How do I bridge the AP Radios direct to the gateway controller, whilst allowing the the main infrastructure to be managed? Im assuming I use VLAN?

Bandwidth is very small, no more than 8mb outbound ADSL, although extra ADSL will be added over time. Not all users will be having internet access , most will be using local network. Client speeds are going to be 25k/12k

I am happy to pay someone for a couple of hours of their time for advice on this, but am unable to make use of the PM function.

email at richedav@gmail.com if you wish

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dual Radio HotSpots / Backhaul: Will Pay

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:33 pm

create a bridge in /interfave bridge and add the wlan ports you need to connect..

Then, the bridge will be the place to fit the IP of the 2 wlans. And you need to create the hotspot in the bridge..

ne0031
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:32 pm

If roaming is a core need, you selected the wrong product. Roaming between radios is not supported. Nor is any type of load balancing between radios.

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:41 pm

YOU CAN USE ROAMING. is as simple as configure same SSID and diferent channel...!

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks Ibersystems

Thats how we normally do roaming and its always worked in the past.

Im pretty sure that I can use the max clients options to allow multiple cards in one box to accept more users spread over the cards - if not, then I'll need to revise this project. How else does anyone get 100 users + into a hotspot system? Im sure they don't run them on a single card.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:22 pm

It depends on your definition of 'roaming'. A normal station can only hold one connection at a time. So when it moves over to another AP with a stronger signal it actually drops the connection with the old AP completely, and only then begins the association/authentication process with the new AP. In the duration between the station is no longer connected to the network. If all goes well it goes so quick that the user doesn't notice (though it would upset audio and video streams that are real time and can't buffer ahead). If it doesn't go well there's a short service interruption.

True roaming includes controllers in a split MAC scenario where the controller is aware of the hand off and can prepare the new AP for the station so that the station doesn't have to go through a full association/authentication process. Mikrotik APs have no such functionality.

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:46 pm

It depends on your definition of 'roaming'. A normal station can only hold one connection at a time. So when it moves over to another AP with a stronger signal it actually drops the connection with the old AP completely, and only then begins the association/authentication process with the new AP. In the duration between the station is no longer connected to the network. If all goes well it goes so quick that the user doesn't notice (though it would upset audio and video streams that are real time and can't buffer ahead). If it doesn't go well there's a short service interruption.
Thats all i am after, even if there was a 10 second delay it would meet my requirements.

Thank you for explaining.

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 pm

To fit more than 100 users in a AP, you have to move to 5ghz. Its better for this! If its not possible, use good antenas and diferent true channels. Also, you need to disconnect your 2.4ghz competitors from electricity.. xD

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:53 pm

To fit more than 100 users in a AP, you have to move to 5ghz. Its better for this! If its not possible, use good antenas and diferent true channels. Also, you need to disconnect your 2.4ghz competitors from electricity.. xD
No other WiFi in a 1 mile range at least, 2.4g and 5g is totally free. I will make use of 2.4 and 5ghz for clients though - although i bet there's no easy way for band steering.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:55 pm

although i bet there's no easy way for band steering.
There's no band steering whatsoever.