MikroTik App

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Simple mesh routing query

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi

Ive been setting up a few of the MT boards we have in the office as a simple 1 radio mesh sytem to see if we could replace some old RobinMesh equipment.

So far so good, all the systems are meshing up, but I cannot work out how to get the routing working.

Board A, Gateway with internet address is running HotSpot Services

Board B, is meshed up with Board A, but I cannot get an IP address on the WLAN network from the hotspot service on Board A

Questions:

On what Interface do I run the HotSpot service (I now have a WDS and Mesh interface)
On what interface do I set the IP address of Board B (Mesh or WLAN)?
Do i need any further routing rules to bridge WLAN1 on board B with the Mesh network ?

Appreciate any help you can offer. I know single radio mesh is not a good idea but this is just a quick n dirty way to get MT equipment on site instead of Robin Mesh.

regards

Edit: Can I run a VLAN over the Mesh Link so that Hotspot traffic and management traffic are seperated?

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Simple mesh routing query

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Pinging from each of the routers to each other over the mesh works fine.

Its purely clients that are not routing to the gateway.

If i set a static IP address on my laptop I can ping the local WLAN interface,but no further. It looks like an IP Route is set up though

This is all using the MESH option from Webif - i assume its the HWMP+ judging from the wiki example

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 am

Is this sort of thing covered in the mtcna course and exam as im tempted to take one just to master the black art of mikrotik mesh?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:27 am

Is this sort of thing covered in the mtcna course and exam as im tempted to take one just to master the black art of mikrotik mesh?
MTCNA is basics. For brief introduction to HWMP+ you need to take MTCWE

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, after copious amounts of coffee, sandwiches and demotivational posters, HWMP is now working on single radio. Also tried dual radio , thats working as well.

I did manage to get it all working, then lock myself out of the units by setting hotspot on the bridge and not adding our domain to the walled garden (no local user). Still, good learning experience in that I won't do it again.

Now to set up VLAN over the mesh to separate the management and client networks.

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:16 pm

We found we drop the bridge and run all hotspot activities via the mesh interface. So we have 5 Grooves in Mesh piping the hotspot service down to picos running off the ethernet.... No Bridging, just Mesh (which I'm guessing is kinda bridging anyways). Just got to work out why we can't roam between these picos...

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Are you running the picos on different channels? If not, the laptop/smartphone etc won't switch from one AP to Another.