ringishpil
just joined
Topic Author

need a boost on a wireless network

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Guys, I have one issue

This is the map of my problem:

So, to be short:

The link between 1 and 2 is something below 1km. I get 20 Mbps on that link (both ways). After that link there is an optic for about 30km, and than I have another SXT link between 3 and 4. From 5 to 6 there is a big distance, covered with 433AH and R52Hn and 29dbi antennas.

All in all I get around 15-20Mbps of bandwidth. Tested on speedtest, torrent and bandwidth test. I need to get at least 40-50 Mbps.

Next I will post the configurations on SXT and 433AHs so you can maybe suggest me something:

For all of the equipment I used bridge and wds

MIKROTIK SXT 1-2

MIKROTIK SXT 3-4

The same configuration as 1-2 except that in option BAND if I choose 5GHZ-only-N it doesn't work, I cannot register the two SXT, so I HAD to choose 5GHZ-A/N

MIKROTIK 433AH 5-6

On this last link I've chosen MCS-4 cause I couldn't do it with MCS-8/MCS-7/MCS-9. Dont know why. Anytime I changed it to MCS-8 the antennas had problems locating themselfs.

The problem is that the link is set up from my city to another one. The thing is that the only connection that I have to that network is coming trough the same network. For example if I try to make a bandwidth test, sometimes mikrotik crashes or goes slow. I dont have another way around. Still I have people on the other side, who are testing the speed and giving me the results. But if you suggest something I can go and visit the links and change something from there.

Chronicaust
just joined

Re: need a boost on a wireless network

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:35 pm

My advice would be to first update your routeros, then try using nv2 on the SXT link and nstreme on the 25km link, cap the data rates below what they automatically set themselves to.

Try to get your ccq's on the links to be 90+ with traffic on them.

ringishpil
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:26 am

Yes I noticed that I cannot use NV2, didnt knew why... I guess its about update now... I will try to update them.

What about other opinions? About MCS, or about using WDS?

netrat

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Yes I noticed that I cannot use NV2, didnt knew why... I guess its about update now... I will try to update them.

What about other opinions? About MCS, or about using WDS?
I don't think WDS and NV2 are compatible, but I'm not 100% on that. Why are you using WDS? Can you not setup the network to be routed instead of bridged? If the network has to be bridged use MPLS/VPLS, it is much faster than WDS.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:26 am

First update to 5.6. From the introduction of NV2 in 4.x wireless packages all kind of issues came up.
Only 4.17 (?)/5.6 now finally seems to be stable.
My whole network is v5.6 now and yes, in 5.6 a WDS link works fine with NV2. I use it, WDS+NV2+802.11a+n and run 35+Mbps tcp traffic over it with ease.

ringishpil
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 am

Guys, thank you.

I did an office test with the same setup that I have on the 25km link. I got 40Mbps throughput on -71 dbm signal. When I upgraded the ROUTEROS to 5.6 and put an NV2, didn't bridged 2 433AH, but one BRIDGE and one STATION WDS. After testing I got 35Mbps TX and 35Mbps RX throughput on -72/-73 dbm, which is what I wanted.

but, I will try MPLS/VPLS instead of using WDS.

Thanks!

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:44 pm

I tried to use WDS between access points with NV2 but it does not work.

As access points are not synchronized, i suppose that it is not possible to use NV2 with WDS ?

In the end, i suppose that it is not possible to use more than one NV2 enabled access point on the same channel, or it will conflict because TDMA frames are not synchronized betweeen access points.

I did not find informations about NV2 and WDS in the wiki, neither a warning saying that NV2 TDMA protocol is not synched between acces points.

Mikrotik, can you confirm that 802.11 and CSMA is mandatory to connect two or more access points together through WDS ?

netrat

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:04 pm

As access points are not synchronized, i suppose that it is not possible to use NV2 with WDS ?

In the end, i suppose that it is not possible to use more than one NV2 enabled access point on the same channel, or it will conflict because TDMA frames are not synchronized betweeen access points.

I did not find informations about NV2 and WDS in the wiki, neither a warning saying that NV2 TDMA protocol is not synched between acces points.

Mikrotik, can you confirm that 802.11 and CSMA is mandatory to connect two or more access points together through WDS ?
As of version 5.0rc1 Nv2 has the following features:

TDMA media access
WDS support
QoS support with variable number or priority queues

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:03 am

As of version 5.0rc1 Nv2 has the following features:

TDMA media access
WDS support
QoS support with variable number or priority queues
I think you both are right.
FIPTech is right in mentioning that indeed AP with TDMA working on the same channel (which is an working mode for a mesh, or WDS, network) is not possible as long as the AP's are not synch'd

netrat is right in quoting what MT writes in the manual. But this is just linear WDS where WDS is nothing more than bridging networks on both end of a wireless link. Usually only one AP for this setup. That works fine.

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 am

Yes WDS NV2 bridging works without problems, but only from client stations to a central access point. I'm using this at a client site.

But if you try to set two NV2 access points on the same channel, and connect each one to the other one through WDS links, it does not even mount the WDS bridge interfaces. I tried Meshes as well without more success.

This seems very logical, as it is not possible to use TDMA if two access point on a same channel are not at least protocol synched (frame collisions).

I'm not sure that low level carrier synchronisation is necessary to achieve TDMA synching. Should be doable at the firmware level ?

sonny
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 pm

any news for wireless AP synchronisation under NV2?