Community discussions

MikroTik App

laithmikrotik
Topic Author

groove A5hn as access point

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:48 pm

im very admirer with this product .i read carefully the charactors as what if we used as access point..
it have license level 4..what i know that this level related with 20 active users.
my question is if we connect this devise with ominiantenna 5ghz /15dbi ..is it true that this access point will active just with 20 active online users and what happen if the users increase to 30/40
i mean is this devise is just for 20 active users ? or something else?

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: groove A5hn as access point

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm

The number of users depends on the speed offered, overall signal strength for the clients, speed of the processor and how you have the unit configured.

I've got 28 on an 802.11G card right now, that is as many as I want. Adding capacity soon. 802.11N should be able to handle more, just how many, I haven't pushed it yet.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:46 am

it have license level 4..what i know that this level related with 20 active users.
this is not true. where did you read this? Level4 has no such limit for wireless users. the limit is 2007 users (theoretical limit), actual limitation depends on how much speed you want for each customer.

laithmikrotik
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:50 am

this is not true. where did you read this? Level4 has no such limit for wireless users. the limit is 2007 users (theoretical limit), actual limitation depends on how much speed you want for each customer.
thank you very much but what does the number 20 means in the following page i mean in field license 4
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Li ... nse_Levels

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:11 am

It is the number of users (admins) logged on to the ROS. The number of wireless clients is unlimited

Level 3 - Bridge = 1 client
Level 4 - AP Bridge = unlimited clients

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am

It is the number of users (admins) logged on to the ROS. The number of wireless clients is unlimited

Level 3 - Bridge = 1 client
Level 4 - AP Bridge = unlimited clients
also wrong. it's "USER MANAGER" sessions if you use the product which is called "MIKROTIK USER MANAGER"

herakles
just joined

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 pm

the limit is 2007 users (theoretical limit), actual limitation depends on how much speed you want for each customer.
Why is there a user limit at all and where does this number "2007" come from?

Thanks, Herakles

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:57 pm

the limit is 2007 users (theoretical limit), actual limitation depends on how much speed you want for each customer.
Why is there a user limit at all and where does this number "2007" come from?

Thanks, Herakles
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Wireless

2007 is a hardware limit.

ilius168
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:02 pm

i believe the number of users stated on license levels are about the actual user (like hotspot, pppoe etc)
not the hardware user(device) limiting .

level4=20
level5=200
level6=unlimited

laithmikrotik
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:30 pm

execuse me to all my friends ..but suppose you would like to make the above device as a hotspot station(( access point/bridge ))
and you have actually 50 active users connected with this device all of them users open yahoo massenger in the same time
of course you connected the device with high internet bandwith service source
are all of these 50 users will not face any proplem with internet ??
with thanksssssssssss...

laithmikrotik
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 pm

please need answer...because my information in this issue is weak
can someone help me with thanks

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:26 am

execuse me to all my friends ..but suppose you would like to make the above device as a hotspot station(( access point/bridge ))
and you have actually 50 active users connected with this device all of them users open yahoo massenger in the same time
of course you connected the device with high internet bandwith service source
are all of these 50 users will not face any proplem with internet ??
with thanksssssssssss...
If all of these users indeed do nothing else than look at the messenger screen (which is unreal.) and all have good signals in both directions and there is no interference around and there is good S/N ratio for all units and other wireless related settings are tuned than that is possible.
But in real live it is not.
For 50 active users you are more looking to a rb800.
But still, if they all are file sharing with 10Mb and you would have 500Mb capacity behind it you still have problems.

laithmikrotik
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:52 am

thanks to all my frinds for there kindly pursuit
last question what dose this phrase mean..??
the messenger screen (which is unreal.
any body use chatting with there friends and open web camera ..is unreal.!!!!!!!!
Last edited by laithmikrotik on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 am

no! like I said above, "20" is only a limitation for "USER MANAGER" users. USER MANAGER is a specific program: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/User_Mana ... er_Manager

If you do not use this program, THERE ARE NO LIMITATIONS! For hotspot, the limit of ACTIVE users in Level4 is 200 not 20!

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:20 pm

thanks to all my frinds for there kindly pursuit
last question what dose this phrase mean..??
the messenger screen (which is unreal.
any body use chatting with there friends and open web camera ..is unreal.!!!!!!!!
Exactly. If you have 50 guys only having their laptop on and only one application running, yahoo messenger, but only the txt messaging then it is possible.
If all 50 start using the video apart from running out of bandwidth the CPU of the groove just can't handle all that traffic and your network will start becoming very slow because their can be only one station at the time, and only in one direction, be served.
Apart from that, any PC, laptop or Pad is also doing several other things. Virus update, Windows upgrade, all kind of little programs that go on line in the background, the browser communicating with several servers (adds, banners, cookies etc.). Even a laptop not been touched for 10 mins is still sending and receiving some data.

Very basically what an AP does in NV2 is this:

step 1 Send to client A
step 2 Receive from client A
step 3 Send to client B
step 4 Receive from client B
step 5 Send to client C
step 6 Receive from client C

Now, you can imagine if these clients hardly have to receive anything from the AP and also hardly have to send anything back to the AP (so they are connected (=active) but basically doing nothing), the AP can easy cycle through all his clients and within relative short time serve client A again.

Now imagine to have 50 clients. And they all have their video ON. So now suddenly the AP has to send bulk of data to client A, then receive bulk of date from A, than send to B, receive from B, than C etc. etc. etc. After having all 50 stations served AP has to back at A again in time so "A"-user is not aware he has not been served for some microseconds.
You can imagine this becomes very hard. The AP's CPU has to work very fast to perform all this work in time.
CPU of Groove is just not capable of doing this all. If you need so much work to be processed you need more muscle!

What normis means with ´active´ is "associated to AP". The hardware limitation is 2007 which can be read as "unlimited" because not an AP in the world would be able to serve so many stations without creating delays in the system.

In authentication server (hotspot, user manager); the amount of registered users (=active) that are allowed .. This is more a software limitation build in for sales sake. (Or not? MT?)

laithmikrotik
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Now imagine to have 50 clients. And they all have their video ON. So now suddenly the AP has to send bulk of data to client A, then receive bulk of date from A, than send to B, receive from B, than C etc. etc. etc. After having all 50 stations served AP has to back at A again in time so "A"-user is not aware he has not been served for some microseconds.
You can imagine this becomes very hard. The AP's CPU has to work very fast to perform all this work in time.
CPU of Groove is just not capable of doing this all. If you need so much work to be processed you need more muscle!

What normis means with ´active´ is "associated to AP". The hardware limitation is 2007 which can be read as "unlimited" because not an AP in the world would be able to serve so many stations without creating delays in the system.

In authentication server (hotspot, user manager); the amount of registered users (=active) that are allowed .. This is more a software limitation build in for sales sake. (Or not? MT?)

excellent.....very very excellent

thank you very much
thank to all friends especially
normis and wirelessrudy