Community discussions

MikroTik App

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

"3G offload via WiFi" Headache of mobile operators

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Day by day 3G mobile data usage increases very fast. The capacity of mobile operators are very limited. Because 3G base station is very expensive. Now the most of operator companies are researching how to offload 3G traffic. One of big operator company said "The cost of producing data in Wi-Fi is only 10% of the cost of doing so in the 3G network". 4G/LTE also can not solve this situation. WiFi is most cost effective, easy to manage solution and it has more features than 3G network.

What we can do using MT products? Please share with me if you have same problem.

dbodeenisudm
just joined

Re: "3G offload via WiFi" Headache of mobile operators

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 pm

mikrotik wont work that well though; no gps sync. mt is fine for core routers though. ur right that 4g wont solve the problem because everyone will start watching movies; now we know why verizon has a bandwidth limitation. ubiquity gps sync problems probably the only hope; nstreme helps a little but doesnt do any good if you have a cluster. wavion is okay but still no gps sync. 5g?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:23 am

MT has no GPS sync yet but it will probably be in the future.
It doesn't have high priority because GPS sync is not the solution as it looks like. You need tower wide sync (amongst ALL same band users of that tower!). And even then a single same band private soho wifi routers nearbye destroys the whole sync of a tower.....
But still wifi and wimax will together with LTE developments evolve in new technology capable of doing all. More spectrum needs to be freed too. Even with the best technology in the world you need spectrum to do it all. It is already over used and that's only going to be worse. Hence E.E. is working on freeing more bands for high speed internet usage...

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi guys,
We have already started to work on 3G offload via WiFi. Our programmers are developing application for Android, iOS, Symbian and windows mobile. Testing status is good enough yet. This application searches only our WiFi zones (Access Points) by MAC address, if wifi covered this area, application begins to transmit IMSI number of SIM card. So we check customer number on server side and determine what is the service condition for this customer. If customer is able to login to wifi free, we will add customer`s wireless mac address on our radius server. After application will offer free WiFi to customer. If customer clicks ok, application disables 3G network and customer connects to correct wifi zone by application.
Feature:
1. It can be work on top mobile OSystems. Android, iOS, Symbian, windows mobile are more than 80% of our 3G network users.
2. Application offers available WiFi network itself.
3. Wifi access points might be any brand. Only need to supports Radius and MAC exclusion feature on Hotspot. We use ubiquiti with own developed OS. Hotspot servers are running on every ubiquiti.

Disadvantage:
1. First we need to offer own application to customers. Only application can do it.
2. No handover function. If customer uses VoIP via 3G at this moment, internet will be restored by WiFi, but VoIP will be disconnected.

So my hope is use my favorite RouterOS on core system side for to do handover function. So how we can save existing connections (for example established TCP connection) at the moment when switching from 3G to WiFi network?

Rolozon
just joined

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:33 pm

In Bangladesh the Teletalk mobile operator company has a great network which is covering overall the country with good service. I think they have no problems. They are nice mobile operator company.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Read this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/co ... 20862.html It tells enough in where we are going to.

Next week there is this event in Barcelona: http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/index.html
The hotshots are going to decide where we are going. I was surprised not to find MT amongst exhibitors... There are only 1200+. Not MT, not UBNT. Sign on the wall? Missed opportunity?

For medium and long range MT won't have to fear too much (yet) but they definitely have to keep in pace with the revolution in mobile data traffic transport.
Some vendors already passed development stages that MT (or UBNT to name some...) are not even yet thinking of.
Google for that promising new technology firm showing what Wifi is really capable of. I am not going to name them, that would be unfair. But I already know the short range Wifi spectrum battle is not going to be won by basic 802.11a/b/g/n technology based services. They will drown in interference and data.

I am really wondering what we will be thinking in 10 years from now if we are reading these ancients lines written here and now again....... :?