Community discussions

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Surge protector for the RB4xx series...

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi buddy....

as we know the RB4xx series is come without any the ESD and Lightning protection.
we have been use the dbii safe surge series for a long time.

but i found that they are using the MOV TVR14560 (max voltage allowed is 45VDC) instead of the TVR14330 (max voltage allowed is 26VDC), what do you think if we replace the TVR14560 to this as they have no production for this yet.

correct if i am wrong, even the Routerboard DC input will be cut off when over the 28VDC, but it will help no much right.

appreciated for you sharing.

thank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karlos
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Surge protector for the RB4xx series...

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:14 pm

I dont know if you have serious problems with lightening overvoltage or not. We found that most lightning protection devices will work as an protection against health damage on persons, but will not help to save the devices at all, but we still use them on reasonable places .

Mikrotik has starter to throw back devices like cards or boards with status that they have been damaged by overvoltage. Why ?

We use antenas that are DC short, so as MIkrotik self tells they dont need to be secured by lightning protection. And about ethernet overvoltage? Haha, if we use very stable high current DC source secured by high current bateries, it immposible to becomme overvoltage. Only way is to be directly hit by an lightning, and i will be sure you will recognize that your device was directly hit. We changed some boards at last time that seems to have problem on DC input, and send it to the dealer. They were thrown back as overvoltage damage! WTF!!!! We didnt have an storm, coz we didnt have an rain for longer than 1 month long!
So how they "recognize" overvoltage damage ? I think it is very simple. Some DC overvoltage damaged boards, that have been send back as repaired, was just without one capacitor from the 4set. So i think that if Mikrotik finds an damaged (punctured) capacitor they just say "overvolatge".

Ill better use capacitor with higher voltage resistability instead of annoy customers, but everybody has its own way. I am just remembering ABIT and motherboards problem. They used some wrong supplyer of capacitors and complete one year of motherboard production (cca in years 200x) was afficted and every board needed to be replaced after aproxymatly one year of use, because capacitor was puffed out.

So just think about it and make your own decisions.

Karel

PS: We are using APC or the same protectors like you

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:09 pm

I dont know if you have serious problems with lightening overvoltage or not. We found that most lightning protection devices will work as an protection against health damage on persons, but will not help to save the devices at all, but we still use them on reasonable places .

Mikrotik has starter to throw back devices like cards or boards with status that they have been damaged by overvoltage. Why ?

We use antenas that are DC short, so as MIkrotik self tells they dont need to be secured by lightning protection. And about ethernet overvoltage? Haha, if we use very stable high current DC source secured by high current bateries, it immposible to becomme overvoltage. Only way is to be directly hit by an lightning, and i will be sure you will recognize that your device was directly hit. We changed some boards at last time that seems to have problem on DC input, and send it to the dealer. They were thrown back as overvoltage damage! WTF!!!! We didnt have an storm, coz we didnt have an rain for longer than 1 month long!
So how they "recognize" overvoltage damage ? I think it is very simple. Some DC overvoltage damaged boards, that have been send back as repaired, was just without one capacitor from the 4set. So i think that if Mikrotik finds an damaged (punctured) capacitor they just say "overvolatge".

Ill better use capacitor with higher voltage resistability instead of annoy customers, but everybody has its own way. I am just remembering ABIT and motherboards problem. They used some wrong supplyer of capacitors and complete one year of motherboard production (cca in years 200x) was afficted and every board needed to be replaced after aproxymatly one year of use, because capacitor was puffed out.

So just think about it and make your own decisions.

Karel

PS: We are using APC or the same protectors like you
yes, we do have a lot of board returned back by them and they claim said it's damaged by over-voltage.

but some it's in house use and out of sudden it's not working.

what can we do as they kick it back to us.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:54 am

as we know the RB4xx series is come without any the ESD and Lightning protection
°

???

Follow the guide here, and you will not need any surge protectors:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Grounding
No answer to your question? How to write posts

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:51 am

as we know the RB4xx series is come without any the ESD and Lightning protection
°

???

Follow the guide here, and you will not need any surge protectors:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Grounding
Dear Normunds..
the RB411AH and RB411 is come without the esd and lightning surge protection like what RB7xx do right...

can consider to have some changes for the RB4xx series?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:58 am

All RB411 and RB433 use ESD surge protection!

All our products have ESD protection.
Karlos, if you have specific complaint about some devices that were returned to you, email RMA and give specific information. Such complaint on the forum will not help anyone. RMA dept professionals do thorough testing on devices, almost all conclusions are correct.
No answer to your question? How to write posts