Community discussions

xetrigger
just joined
Topic Author

signal strenght vs. speed test

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:46 am

hey guys, I am a client of my buddy who actually operates in our area. he allows me a login with winbox to adjust my own satellite when the wind blows it out of whack. I live in a valley with alot of wind so this happens alot lol. anyway, my question is this. when i login to winbox to re-align my satelite and grab the best possible signal, i get it up to reasonable speeds as well.

This is my issue, i get the following reading which you can see in the image below:

now, once i get that signal to set pretty steady, i try a speed test and i am only getting a download of .50 mbps and an up of about .47 mbps. I am no math genius, but doesnt that make my connection like a 56k freakin connection?

what are some of the things i may be overlooking to open up my connection speeds. its almost un-bearable to surf the web. especially becuase i have 4 other devices in the house running off the wireless router.

any and all help here would be appreciated. thanks in advance for all responses.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: signal strenght vs. speed test

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:10 am

Your wireless signals should be -70 or even lower to get high throughputs.
The connection rates winbox shows are the rates both radio's negotiate that can be used. But the point of yes or not to be used is around -73 to -80 depending on the used radio's.
Roughly a link can have an aggregated throughput on a link of about 50% of the connected connection rates.
Than your CCQ are only moderate to say at least. They should preferrably be above 80% but the higher the better.
The % actually tells how many percent of the data makes it to the other end compared to the lot (=100%)

So, apart from having a not too strong link, I also think you might have interferences or poor LOS creating poor throughputs on the link. Run a wireless "scan" on your CPE to see if you have any other AP's around your using the same or almost the same frequency and with what signal strenghts.

To increase the quality of you link you can think of an higher (directional!) gain antenna, better aligning of such antenna, higher pole (LOS + Fresnel) and check all the cables (water!, poor contacts!)

And by the way, its almost impossible to have such winds your antenna needs to be aligned each time after a gale. Most antenna's are capable to survive near hurricane winds and their brackets are designed for that too.
So, unless you get a weekly tornado I would think your antenna setup might need some improvement anyway....
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

xetrigger
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:56 am

So, apart from having a not too strong link, I also think you might have interferences or poor LOS creating poor throughputs on the link. Run a wireless "scan" on your CPE to see if you have any other AP's around your using the same or almost the same frequency and with what signal strenghts.

To increase the quality of you link you can think of an higher (directional!) gain antenna, better aligning of such antenna, higher pole (LOS + Fresnel) and check all the cables (water!, poor contacts!)

And by the way, its almost impossible to have such winds your antenna needs to be aligned each time after a gale. Most antenna's are capable to survive near hurricane winds and their brackets are designed for that too.
So, unless you get a weekly tornado I would think your antenna setup might need some improvement anyway....
ok, so running the scan! how do i do that? do i do it via the tools in winbox? Second, i understand the LOS issue and can assure you that there is nothing between the Sat and the tower. Third, the wind idea was simply an exaggeration lol. was not meant to mislead you. and lastly, i appreciate your response. it has helped me tremendously. based off of what you have said, i will take the following actions.

1. check the cables and connections for any type of damage, water etc......
2. if that is not the issue, perhaps think of relocating the Sat to a pole that sits higher.
3. (actually first) run a scan and how?

Am I on the right track Rudy? and again thanks for the help here. i appreciate it.

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:54 am

now, once i get that signal to set pretty steady, i try a speed test and i am only getting a download of .50 mbps and an up of about .47 mbps. I am no math genius, but doesnt that make my connection like a 56k freakin connection?
No, it doesn't :). It makes your connection like a 512k :).

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:01 pm

ok, so running the scan! how do i do that? do i do it via the tools in winbox? Second, i understand the LOS issue and can assure you that there is nothing between the Sat and the tower. Third, the wind idea was simply an exaggeration lol. was not meant to mislead you. and lastly, i appreciate your response. it has helped me tremendously. based off of what you have said, i will take the following actions.

1. check the cables and connections for any type of damage, water etc......
2. if that is not the issue, perhaps think of relocating the Sat to a pole that sits higher.
3. (actually first) run a scan and how?

Am I on the right track Rudy? and again thanks for the help here. i appreciate it.
Winbox: Main Menu "Wireless", klik on the first tab "interfaces" and choose the radiointerface you want to run the scan of (if you have more than 1) and double click on the line representing the radio of choice.
In the next 'wireless interface' in the right hand column you'll see list with commands, go for "scan".

Be aware not to do it on a radio you are wirelessly connected to, because while scanning the radio cannot maintain a radio link with another device.

In terminal, type at the prompt: "interface wireless scan" and hit enter...
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.