Community discussions

MikroTik App

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wifi ToolBox fro Android

Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:01 am

As I am annoyed that Mikrotik does not show channel numbers along with wireless freguencies I made small and simle Android application that shows this info. It comes pretty much handy.

You may download it from http://pedja.supurovic.net/projekti/wifi-toolbox. Article is not in english but aplication is. I could not put it on Adnroid market, but installing it directly on the phone is quite simple. Anyone who uses Mirktoik should be able to manage that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Wifi ToolBox fro Android

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:29 pm

what difference does "channel number" make ???

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Usage of channels is usual procedure for common usage when there are predefined frequencies channeled by needed bandwidth. All devices targeted for open wireless bands use channels not frequencies.

It is actually question, why Mikrotik does not follow this standard as everyone else but enforces frequencies which are harder to remember and use.

This is just a matter of user friendliness and as we already concluded, for some reason Mikrotik stuff is not just failing to make Mikrotik user friendly, but sometimes it looks like that it is deliberately made user unfriendly.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:00 pm

If you can't remember the center channels and the range of the bands how are you doing this without breaking some regulation in your country?

I don't see where this is an issue. Router OS isn't a click and go AP. With everything else that has to be configured manually, learning the channel frequency vs number isn't a big deal.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 am

So, now, anyone who asks for user friendly interface is a moron who does not know how to use something if it is not click and go?

Why would anyone remember frequencies when there is absolutely no need for that, except, when Mikrotik enforces it?

After all, I found it annoying, made simple solution for a problem, shared it, and I know there are others that have use of my solution.

Why do you bother about that? If you do not need this app do not use it.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:27 am

I never said anything about anyone being a moron. I did say that Router OS is complicated and can get you in trouble if you aren't familiar with wireless, never mind the fact that it is not simple to set up in the first place.

I also tried to install your app, would not install on an LG Vortex Android 2.2.2.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:44 am

As I use Mikrotik for about six years, and for all that time teach others how to use it, I think I know what Mikrotik is... I do not need you to explain it or treat me like a moron.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:05 am

What is the difference? Remembering 2427 or 4? Are the three extra digits that hard?

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 am

It would not be a difference if Mikrotik shows only the channel frekvencies. But it does not.

And again. Why do you bother? You were you to add chanel marks years ago, and funny, you said you will add them. But you did not. And I made alternative solution. And now that bothers you?

I would understand if that is big deal. I am pretty sure it would not take more than few minutes for you to add channel marks in frequency list. You do not want to do that and now it became problem because I made alternative solution?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:52 am

in Winbox, channel frequencies are in bold:
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:55 am

I know. Thats why I said you need no more than few minutes to put channel numbers along frekvencies. You have all the mens, it is just simply you do not want to do that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:57 am

what about 5GHz :) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WL ... 2Fj.2Fn.29

Is remembering channel 183 easier than 4915 ?