Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

ejansson
Topic Author

AP Bridge and WDS station vs Bridge and station

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:02 pm

We will be deploying our second P2P next week. Both have been set up as AP Bridge to WDS station with a bridge connecting the interfaces. I have been unable to get the Bridge and Station mode to work (rb532 with sr5). The RF side links up fine but no traffic passes. The manual indicates to use it for a P2P application. Is there some trick to this I have not found. Is there any reasons that one should be used over the other in a p2p set up. Is there extra over head due to the fact it is set as an ap or is this a non issue as I only have one "client" connected.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:42 am

if you're just trying to achieve a point to point link, set both ends to mode=bridge for the wireless interface, do not add the wlan1 interface to teh bridge.

enable WDS on the interface, choose static or dynamic whichever you prefer (if its just a p2p then most likely you'll choose static). If you go the static route make sure the WDS interface is added to the bridge, as well as the ethernet interface that you're trying to bridge too.

Do the same on the opposite end and make sure the frequencies and SSID's are equivelent on both ends.

FYI, If you need to change the channel of the p2p link, make sure you change the Remote Unit first, otherwise you'll be driving out to the location to change the frequency on site because you lost connection to the remote unit.

If you choose dynamic, in the wireless interface properties where you enabled WDS, set the WDS Default Bridge to the bridge interface you created.

ejansson
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:24 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Is there any benifit to using one set up over the other?

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:02 am

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Is there any benifit to using one set up over the other?
If you use AP Bridge on the Master side and station WDS on the remote side you can achieve the same goal, and the client will follow whatever frequency you set on the master. That's the only benefit that I can see, and in this configuration the Master unit could be used in a PtMP setup.

aviper
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:14 am

FYI, If you need to change the channel of the p2p link, make sure you change the Remote Unit first, otherwise you'll be driving out to the location to change the frequency on site because you lost connection to the remote unit.
If you miss to change the channel of the oposite side first, you can always drive back the frequence of the "near" side.
(Or i'm missing something ?)

NZLamb

Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:59 pm

You can also set up the remote station to WDS slave mode, this seems to work the same but means it will dynamically seek the frequency set by the master unit.

Bridging does give better throughput in my experience, especially over long distance.

ejansson
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:17 am

Thanks for the input.

This is the kind of info I was looking for, particularly that the Bridge mode will perform better in a p2p type setup.

jd6strings
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

2.4 P2P Link

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:34 pm

HELP!! We are attempting to configure a 2.4 P2P link and this is our first go round with Mikrotik (v2.8).

We've 2 MT 19bBi flat-panel radios both configured in bridge mode, using the same SSID and frequency, configured a bridge (i.e. bridge1) on both sides and added the bridge interface to WDS using static assignment.

This is as far as we've gotten and we have no idea how to proceed. How do we get the radios to associate and furthermore pass traffic?

One radio has an IP of 192.168.10.1 on the WLAN interface and a 192.168.0.1 on the LAN interface. The other radio has an IP of 192.168.10.2 on the WLAN interface and a 192.168.1.1 on the LAN interface.

What static route do I need to add to be able to ping say 192.168.1.1 from the other side of the link?

Please help ASAP!!!! :lol:

NZLamb

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:32 pm

You need to create a WDS interface and assign it the respective WLAN interface. You also add the MAC address of the remote unit to this WDS interface.

e.g. run the command:
int wir wds add name="wds1" mac-address=[local MAC address] master-interface=wlan1 wds-address=[remote bridge MAC address]

Assign an IP address to the WDS interface instead of the WLAN one.

Regarding routing, if for example you wanted the first unit (192.168.0.1) to ping the LAN interface of the other (192.168.1.1), you would add a route to 192.168.1.0/24 via the gateway 192.168.10.2 on the that first unit.

Example command:
ip rou add dst-address=192.168.1.0/24 gateway=192.168.10.2

You will need to do the same in reverse on the other unit for the return traffic, ie add a route to 192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.10.1. You will also need to add routes to other machines on each LAN so they they know to use the respective access point when accessing the other network.

This is really just scratching the surface on the subject of routing but should be enough to at least get things working. I hope this helps! 8)