Community discussions

MikroTik App

donlad
just joined
Topic Author

Wifi speed and broadcast distance

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:09 am

At my marina, I have a routerboard 433 with 2 r52h PCI cards on a 10.0.0.0 subnet. running duel SSID, 1 secure with wpa 2 and one open. its set to 2ghzb/g/n 802.11 ap-bridge, with 2 ohmi antennas. Up close i get great signal with a 14mps down and 6mps up. 900 feet away i get 3 bars of signal with 2.3mps down and .56mps up. The 6 wireless ip cameras i have on the network have such slow speed. I'm concerned when more customers connect to the wireless the speeds will just be really bad. I'm pretty new to all this and im not sure what to do to increase the range, the penetration power and the speeds. At the marina every thing is pretty open with only a few 1 amd a half thin metal buildings. any help would be greatly appreciated.

brandonrossl
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Wifi speed and broadcast distance

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Metal is the enemy!

Also have you looked at your site and drawn out your antenna coverage maps? Maybe looking into directional antennas would help help fight interference and strengthen the signal?

Maybe hop on google maps and doodle over satellite view?

donlad
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wifi speed and broadcast distance

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Yes ive looked into the site along with directional antennas. due to the location on the few metal buildings i would need to put up p2p ap's with there own directional antennas, which isn't in the budget. the biggest problem i have with the network speeds being transferred over wifi would be my ip network cameras scarred through out the marina. while viewing the cameras live feed the network speed is severely slowed down. i need to correct this but im not sure how to at this point. could it be the bridge i created between the eth1 and wlan1 and wlan2? any ideas would be great.