Community discussions

MikroTik App

webdude2000
just joined
Topic Author

VoIP compression

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi

We run VoIP (UDP traffic) over wireless using the G729 codec on asterisk and in most places it works fine however in high interference areas we have to do hectic configs on the Mikrotiks to prevent packet loss but this also reduces bandwidth a lot. We run Queue Trees and Mangle rules on the highsite for QoS. Is there any way to tunnel the traffic plus strip IP headers thereby allowing us to process more concurrent calls while maintaing QoS?

There are products and appliances like Vibe and XipLink which are good but pricey although I don't see why the Mikrotik OS can't do this. It seems to be able to do almost everything else.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

tyronzn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: VoIP compression

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:44 am

Hey Dude,

IP Packing comes to mind but i'm not sure it will make a difference with voip as voip is sensitive to delays.Also using the G729 codec is already a compressed codec so i wouldnt suggest trying to reduce headers any further.I've tried experimenting with G729 on my network and its been touch and go,i'll mostly use speex although it uses more processor power on the server

webdude2000
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:52 pm

We have been looking at tunneling and MPLS but these all add overhead so now we are looking at changing the trunks to the clients from SIP to IAX2 which has a lower overhead.

webdude2000
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 pm

With all the features Mikrotik has and have added to the devices and OS, I would not be surprised if down the line they don't introduce some form of WAN Optimiser / Compression.

broadband
just joined

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi
it Really needs high Processing power and Fpga seems to be the solution. Solution must be ptp anyway. All Udp packet headers for the same destination must be removed, payload should be ordered, muxed with a new header. Similar approach might be in use by some mobile operators..

Regards

Ali