Community discussions

MikroTik App

Joddi
just joined
Topic Author

Strange-ghost-double wireless associations

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Hello,

we have noticed very strange behaviour with some clients associated to mikrotik APs:

We have few AP running mikrotik on routerboars, wlans are setup to operate in 802.11 mode. Each AP has different SSID. There are clients around, every client is setup to connect to specific SSID.
So far it's ok, clients are connected and working.

But occassionally some client appears to be connected to different AP (with different SSID!) - we can see it in registration table on different AP with lower signal.
Moreover - the same client is still connected to it's original AP - listed in registration table.

We are experiencing this only on 2.4GHz AP but the most strange thing - when client is 5GHz only unit (eg. SEXTANT) and it appears to be connected to different 2.4GHz AP somewhere else in the network (and to the 5GHz AP at the same time).

We have tried firmware from 3.30, 4.17 to 5.12 with the same results.

Is it a bug somewhere or some kind of wireless attack?

--
Joddi

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Strange-ghost-double wireless associations

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:04 am

I had this problem time ago and I don't remember how I fixed it! Sorry! xD

But it was because my TX power was too heavy. Too much radios and too much power. I will read old emails next week to try to found this.

Joddi
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Strange-ghost-double wireless associations

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:12 pm

We are using TL-WN560G 2.4GHz miniPCI cards with power settings from 8 to 16dBm. Changing power doesn't seem to have any influence on this problem.

So far I've investigated:
- some clients get connected to another AP even if it's physically impossible for him to receive signal (because of long distance and obstacles)
- one client connects to 2.4G AP even if he is RB Sextant (doesn't have 2.4G band)
- problems seem to be realated only to TL-WN560G 2.4GHz miniPCI used as AP (we have about 50 of them in network, but only 3 shows this behaviour so far)
- sometimes problem appears several times a day on some AP, then more than week is everything ok
- clients are allways from the same bridged network segment (group of AP bridged into same network)

Another strange thing - sometimes we can see connected clients, which are actually home routers running in AP mode.