Community discussions

MikroTik App

Shaldy
just joined
Topic Author

PEAP mschapv2 auth in station mode?

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 am

Still can't do it?
I've tried to google it, but all i get is feature request threads on this forum.

I need to connect my Mikrotik devices to wireless network that uses PEAP MSCHAPv2 auth, is it possible after all this years of RouterOS development?

Freqman

Re: PEAP mschapv2 auth in station mode?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Still can't do it?
I've tried to google it, but all i get is feature request threads on this forum.

I need to connect my Mikrotik devices to wireless network that uses PEAP MSCHAPv2 auth, is it possible after all this years of RouterOS development?
I just ran into the same issue. I'd like to use Mikrotik in client mode on a network that is using EAP type PEAP but I'm hitting a wall. Any updates on this?

CsXen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:57 am

Still waiting...
I need EAP-PEAP-MSCHAPv2 in station mode.
It is essentially to connect to the new UPC Wi-Free network with a MT Routerboard.

Regards: Xen

vokchaks
just joined

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:45 am

Still can't do it?

I just ran into the same issue. I'd like to use Mikrotik in client mode on a network that is using EAP type PEAP but I'm hitting a wall. Any updates on this?
howto you make it?

vokchaks
just joined

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:47 am

Still can't do it?

howto you make it?

CsXen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi.
>howto you make it?

I can't. MikroTik still has NO option to choose PEAP authentication in station mode. Not in winbox, neither in CLI.
So still waiting... :)
(And using Ubiquiti, because it can make EAP-PEAP-MSCHAPv2 out of box!)
But any idea or hack appreciated.

Regards: Xen

oreggin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi!

I faced the same problem. I can't use my RB433AH to connect UPC Wi-Free as a station, to share it for my PC and Laptop. UPC Wi-Free is getting more widespread, so it will be appreciated to implement PEAP-MSCHAPv2 in RoS.

Cheers,
oreggin

fractalbrain
just joined

Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:45 am

Anyone have any luck getting this working over in this thread? (I'm going forum digging and visiting from http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 76#p521576)

fractalbrain
just joined

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Hey everyone! I heard back from support today.

They said "note that we support eap-ttls-mschapv2 and we don't have PEAP support."

Note that I am using RouterOS release candidate 6.35rc11 and the "current" RouterOS is 6.34.1.

fractalbrain
just joined

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Update:

I got another reply from Mikrotik.

The person I'm corresponding with successfully tested eap-ttls-mschapv2 using the following set-up:

"...a test EAP radius server and got connected with an android phone and then
repeated the connection with the RouterOS as a client and it was working fine
when specifying the supplicant-identity and the mschapv2-user/password and and
setting tls-mode=dont-verify-certificate"

I personally don't have access to a eap-ttls-mschapv2 setup at the moment, but testing it with a cert would probably be good. I know this thread is regarding PEAP, but can anyone verify they have eap-ttls-mschapv2 working with a cert? (or let me know if there is something I don't understand :-))

Now, about PEAP, the person I'm corresponding with reasserted and noted the following:
"Since we don't have PEAP support eap-peap method will not work.
Currently we don't have any plans to add support the PEAP for the RouterOS
wireless client."

I've asked if a formal feature request can be put in and if the eap-ttls-mschapv2 stuff can be put into the GUIs. I'll update when I hear more.

-e

dominet
just joined

Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi,

Today I have tried to connect my MT routerOS to a UPC Wi-Free service without success.

As I read the posts I have found that some of us has the time and knowledge to work on this issue, but does not have a UPC Wi-Free service in the area, so I have installed a router to a place where I am able to receive 30 (!) UPC Wi-Free APs. For details see attachment.
upc_wifree.jpg
If someone is interested an willing to play a bit with the MikroTik and UPC Wi-Free connection then please PM me for credentials. (I will send both login information)

Pery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

juliobrito
just joined

Tue May 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Regards,

Please, remember that all Mikrotik users need the implementation of PEAP-MSCHAPv2 Wireless Station Mode. We have more that 7 years waiting for it option.

torius
just joined

Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:22 pm

BUMP

Just another customer that would like to use this feature.

Would be nice if someone from the MikroTik could comment whether this feature will be added in the future or not. So that we could make informed decision whether to wait for it or switch to another OS.

HighVoltage
just joined

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:58 pm

I don't get it... This thread is nearly five years old and the feature's still not available. Though, in these areas PEAP MSChapV2 is very commonly used. How about the rest of the world?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:00 pm

I don't get it... This thread is nearly five years old and the feature's still not available. Though, in these areas PEAP MSChapV2 is very commonly used. How about the rest of the world?
I would like to see it as well so we can convert our AP's from WPA2-PSK to WPA2-EAP and give every user a unique password.
It works fine in AP mode but not in station mode. It does work on Ubiquiti clients connected to a MikroTik as AP.
Unfortunately all requests are ignored or denied "because it is seldomly requested"...

onlineuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:32 pm

Any news concerning WPA2-Enterprise (EAP)?
Last edited by onlineuser on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:28 pm

It is now working! Release 6.39

onlineuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 pm

Good news!

Did you try it within the UPC Wi-Free network?

Is it possible to use a RB2011 or any other wireless RB as wireless client with WPA2-Enterprise client (WAN) and as accesspoint (LAN) for the home network? In fact I only want to tunnel all internal traffic over the Wi-Free network through an OVPN connection.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am

I tested it against MikroTik and Ubiquiti APs running WPA2-EAP with a RADIUS server (freeradius) and it works OK.
I can't tell what happens with other services that are not available locally or I have no account on.

HighVoltage
just joined

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:30 pm

Sorry for kicking this thread up. Just wanted to confirm it finally works :-)

Did you try it within the UPC Wi-Free network?
Tried it on the Belgian Telenet WiFree network. Can confirm it works.
Is it possible to use a RB2011 or any other wireless RB as wireless client with WPA2-Enterprise client (WAN) and as accesspoint (LAN) for the home network?
Yes, that's possible (wireless client = station mode)

Jonkheer
just joined

Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Could you share your configuration for Telenet WiFree? I'm struggling with the GlobalSign certificats (which I think are the reason it doesn't work for me).

onlineuser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:28 pm

It works fine with UPC-WiFree - but UPC disconnects the signal every hour. Then I loose some seconds until my ovpn connection to this gateway is established again. :-)