Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

cr1mson
just joined
Topic Author

Severe Problems in creating WDS using two Mikrotik RB751u-2H

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:56 am

First of all a warm hello to all. I am a rookie and just now delved into Mikrotik routers to play with. I have looked up many different sources to create a WDS between two Mikrotik RB751u-2HnD. My internet setup is as follows:
I have a cable from the ISP which goes into a modem to which I have my original Linksys router connected via CAT5 cable which provides wireless access in the entire apartment. Now I want to do range extension using the WDS feature of Mikrotik routers. I am using two Mikrotik RB751u-2HnD routers and RouterOS version 5.6. Also I have removed my Linksys router totally because I want to test out an all Mikrotik RB751u-2HnD setup for the WDS.

Here's a step-by-step approach I have adopted to form the WDS:
1] Connecting the first RB751u-2HnD to the modem via a CAT5 cable and then configuring it.
2] After logging in it I have a bridge-local already available with wlan1 as one of the port.
3] I goto Interfaces -> Click on wlan1 -> wireless tab and select mode=ap bridge, SSID=MikroTik, frequency=2412MHz, Channel width=20/40MHz and Above and security profile=default. Then wireless tab -> WDS -> WDS mode=dynamic and WDS Default bridge to be the bridge-local.
4] Next Click on Wireless -> Create a new WDS interface say wds1. Configure this wds1 to have master interface=wlan1 and wds address to be the MAC address of wlan1 interface of second MikroTik.
5] Add the wds1 interface as the second port in the Bridge "bridge-local". At this point the interfaces wlan1 and wds1 are bridged.
6] Next I configure the ether1 interface to be the DHCP client and bridge-local to be DHCP server. In the DHCP setup of the server these are the parameters:
Name=default
DHCP Server Interface=bridge-local
DHCP Address Space=192.168.88.0/24
Gateway for DHCP Network=192.168.88.1
Addresses to give out=192.168.88.2 - 192.168.88.254
7] IP-> DNS Check the Allow Remote Requests option. The router takes the DNS values provided by the ISP on its own.

This completes the configuration of the first MikroTik. At this point please note that there are only wds1 and wlan1 interfaces in the bridge-local.

For second MikroTik router:
Steps 1 to 5 are exactly same.
6] Here I don't have a DHCP Client but i do have a DHCP server. The bridge-local in this router is the DHCP Server and configured exactly with same parameters as above except Addresses to give out=192.168.88.10 - 192.168.88.254 and also in
IP -> Addresses = 192.168.88.2/24 and interface=bridge-local
This completes the configuration for second router.

The problem:
Ideally this should act as a range extender which it doesn't because when tested out by placing the second router in another apartment probably 5 doors away the range is not extended.
My laptop by default connects to the first one but I don't have internet access at all when both of them are running. I am NOT able to ping any of the routers from windows command prompt when testing out this entire setup.

I am not able to figure out what exactly is going wrong or did i miss out anything?

Any ideas??

Regards,
-cr1mson

cr1mson
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Severe Problems in creating WDS using two Mikrotik RB751

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Common guys, 20 views and not a single reply??? :shock:

Let me give you the short version of what i want to do:
I want to implement a wireless mesh network to enable range extension for internet access using two MikroTik RB751u-2HnD routers where only one is connected to the wired Ethernet.
My problem is same as this one http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56415 but only difference is that I want to provide internet access through both the routers with WDS between them.

I hope this will help in assessing my problem.

And oh i happen to read a nice tutorial about Wireless WDS Mesh by Reza Moghadam and happen to notice that there for both implementations (one with Mesh and other with Bridge interface) the WDS mode selected is dynamic-mesh instead of just plain dynamic. Would somebody tell me the difference and will it help if I change it??

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:34 pm

C.Brown

cbrown[at]ravenrocknetworks.com
MTCNA - MTCRE - MTCWE - MTCTCE
MTCSE - TRAINER-0179

TheWiFiGuy

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:50 pm

Set the repeater unit to wds slave , not ap mode. Get ridof the dhcp server on the repeater, its not needed as the main dhcp server serves the clients

Benefit is that it will pick up the channel change of the master making reconfig real easy.
----------------------
Mikrotik Consultant.
MTCNA, MTWCE, MTCTCE, MTCRE, MTCINE

cr1mson
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 pm

@cbrown
Thanks for the link but i have already seen it when researching for my implementation.

@TheWifiGuy
Thanks!! I tried what you said. Got rid of the dhcp server and client both in the repeater and set the mode=wds-slave but I am concerned for a specific thing. I connect to my network with my laptop and try pinging the main wired MikroTik at 192.168.88.1 and other websites such as google.com etc and I get a response but when i try pinging the repeater MikroTik at 192.168.88.2 I get Request Timed Out message. Is this implementation correct?? I have also added IP -> route in the repeater where destination address=0.0.0.0/0 and gateway=192.168.88.1 and it shows the reachable-bridge1 against it.
And one of the weird things I observed was that sometimes I do get a ping response back from both the MikroTiks and also from other websites but other times it doesn't work. Also for both the Tiks their WiFi LEDs blink in perfect synchronized manner indicating successful WDS between them.

Please advice.

TheWiFiGuy

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:35 pm

I can never work that out myself, pinging from one unit to another - sometimes it works for me, sometimes i get an icmp redirect notice, sometimes nothing. I had a working system in the lab, installed it on a site and immediately lost the ability to remote connect to my repeaters!

Im sure theres a very easy explanation, i just don't know it yet.

If the advice helped, please leave some Karma ;-)
----------------------
Mikrotik Consultant.
MTCNA, MTWCE, MTCTCE, MTCRE, MTCINE

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 pm

@cbrown
Thanks for the link but i have already seen it when researching for my implementation.

@TheWifiGuy
Thanks!! I tried what you said. Got rid of the dhcp server and client both in the repeater and set the mode=wds-slave but I am concerned for a specific thing. I connect to my network with my laptop and try pinging the main wired MikroTik at 192.168.88.1 and other websites such as google.com etc and I get a response but when i try pinging the repeater MikroTik at 192.168.88.2 I get Request Timed Out message. Is this implementation correct?? I have also added IP -> route in the repeater where destination address=0.0.0.0/0 and gateway=192.168.88.1 and it shows the reachable-bridge1 against it.
And one of the weird things I observed was that sometimes I do get a ping response back from both the MikroTiks and also from other websites but other times it doesn't work. Also for both the Tiks their WiFi LEDs blink in perfect synchronized manner indicating successful WDS between them.

Please advice.
What interface do you have your IP address on?
C.Brown

cbrown[at]ravenrocknetworks.com
MTCNA - MTCRE - MTCWE - MTCTCE
MTCSE - TRAINER-0179