Community discussions

MikroTik App

ganapareddy
just joined
Topic Author

problem in 5.8Ghz band in wireless

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:39 am

wireless_network_topology.jpg
sir we are running a small wireless mikrotik isp with 250 customers what i said is mikrotik isp because

our base station is full of mikrotik equipments before discussing with my problem first i need to explain

my network topology , i am using mikrotik rb 5.11 (mipsbe) for routing the bandwidth from private to

public and vice versa we also attach my network topology in the form of diagram , in the base station

(main tower) we are using 3routerboard 433ah and 24dbi sector antennas for our wireless customers and

also we are using 3 routerboard 411 ah(each in 120 degrees) in the 5.8 ghz band with parabolic dish

antennas which works as a multilinks to another 3areas which is a distance of 1 or 2 km the two links

is working well with a ping of -1ms but one of the tower which connects wirelessly from maintower in

the 5.8 ghz band at a distance of 2 km with a signal strength -58 is the real problem i facing in mikrotik

world , suddenly the ping is raising into three digits but the signal strength is good the traffic also not

exceeding 2 mbps and frequency also different with other two links so the interference issue also not

there i think , we facing these problem from six months i tried to solve this issue with googling and all

other great network administrators but they raised their hands we tried all our ways to solve these issue

(we changed the pigtails of two ends ,we changed cable ,crimping , powersupply from 12volts to 24

volts ) but the problem still irritating me , our customers are frustuated with our isp so please help me

with your precious knowledge to solve the issue for our survive may i know what the frequencies in the

5.8ghz band works for india
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

taduikis

problem in 5.8Ghz band in wireless

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:54 am

5.8 is quite broad definition. It really spans from 5725 to 5825 MHz, giving here 5 different 20MHz channels. Try switching to another channel for a start. What's more, if you seem to get this problem intermittently, something is obviously causing it externally. Check for spectrum usage using spectral scanner, snooper or freq usage monitor. Are you experiening trouble with all 3 sectors simultaneosly? What are signal levels and ccq at then?

Do you use nstreme or nv2? Because if you don't that is definitely contributing to the problem.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: problem in 5.8Ghz band in wireless

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Forgive me if I'm off, haven't woken up properly yet.

You have three 5.8GHz sectors and a 5.8GHz point to point on one tower, the point to point doesn't work properly under a load.

How far are they seperated? What is your tx power? Quality antennas?

Self interference. Disable your sectors for just a bit (2 minutes or less) and run a bandwidth test on the 2km link.

I've got some 5GHz equipment that interferes with each other even with one set to 5.3GHz and the other to 5.825. They need better physical separation.

taduikis

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Yeah, I was a little confused about that too..

ganapareddy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:20 pm

The signal level and ccq is perfect with that point (ccq =98 and signal = -60 ) I am a newbie to mikrotik i read somewhere that radar also uses the same 5.8 ghz frequency is it real? bcoz there is an airport near that tower

ganapareddy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 pm

The signal level and ccq is perfect with that point (ccq =98 and signal = -60 ) I am a newbie to mikrotik i read somewhere that radar also uses the same 5.8 ghz frequency is it real? bcoz there is an airport near that tower

ganapareddy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:45 pm

spectral scan is not working on that device it is RB411(mipsbe)

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:03 pm

I've got RB433 and RB411 out there with N cards, spectral scan works for me. Rereading your post, you have 3 sectors serving customers and 3 sectors serving other towers? All 5.8GHz?

If you run btest through one of the sectors to a client or another tower, what is the CCQ on the 2km link? What is the CCQ when you have poor throughput?

As far as I know radar uses 5.6GHz, though other countries may use 5.8GHz. I'll freely admit I haven't researched that.

It still sounds like self interference.

Do you have nstreme or nv2 enabled on any of the interfaces?

vik1988
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 pm

What About CPEs ? are they on the same hardware i mean RB411..

Are you running all wireless links on bridging or routing ?

When you faced latency issue what was the traffic status on wlan1 ?? and wds if in bridging mode.

ganapareddy
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:36 pm

no the three sectors is in the range of 2.4ghz and the remainig three is in 5.8ghz serving point to point link to other towers using bridge option and the nstreme is diabled in both radios because there is only one wlan cards in that routerboard the signal and ccq is perfect the ping is raising in peak hours but the traffic is not exceeding 3 mbps so please calrify me how to reduce thes problem