Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

1500+ client system - need some product help.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:05 am

Hi

I'm looking at deploying a large network 1500+ clients and I'm trying to actual facts on what product's at the base station I should use, how many clients they can support at maximum and at what speeds.

The speed I'm aiming for is 50Mbps to each client but I'm unsure of how many rockets would be needed to reach this speed.
This will be used on the 5Ghz band and band A/B/C can all be used and are 100% clear.
Ideally I need to work from 1 base station but it might be possible I can get a second one.

I have attached an image of the network layout; but I have not decided on routing protocols yet for this; so the project is flexible. The only change to the image is that the feed pipe may already be at the base station now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KillerOPS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: 1500+ client system - need some product help.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:23 pm

50mb per client and 100 clients per ap. That adds up to 5000Mbit/s
Are you sure the numbers are correct? If yes... you definately need fiber, not wireless.

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Ok sorry let me re-clarify.

When I say 50Mbps per user, what I mean is an 'up-to service' - so if all users are on the network the speeds will scale downwards. I only have a 1Gb pipe at the feed site (although this can be upgraded with more pipes as users start to consume more). So the only time the users will get 50Mbps is if the network isn't busy.

Large wireless PtMP systems - i've never actually done before, the only wireless systems are hotspots which work great, but can't be used in this case.

The biggest issue I'm having is trying to design an base station AP which can handle a high load of users with high level of throughput.

KillerOPS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:42 pm

100 customers with current technology with this throughput is impossible.
I would suggest 10, maximum 20 customers per ap. And even then, 50mbit is unrealistic.

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Wow, thats really very low.
Correct me if I'm wrong but surely if I use 2x cards - 1 Tx and 1 Rx surely the amount of connections could increase?
Even using 2x 3x3mimo cards?

czolo

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Wow, thats really very low.
Correct me if I'm wrong but surely if I use 2x cards - 1 Tx and 1 Rx surely the amount of connections could increase?
Even using 2x 3x3mimo cards?
You're wrong. Only wireless speed increase, not a ammount of connections. You cant use 2 cards - 1tx/1rx in ptmp network. It's possible only in NSdual, so in p2p links.
I suggest to try to do some test first, and then decide to invest in fiber :)
| --= Czo|_o =--
| http://wifi4eu.pl
| Innovation in WiFi

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:00 am

I see what your saying now. Really to get a wireless system I would need around 75AP at least from towers and at that rate, no amount of channels is going to do the job.

I was really hoping to avoid fibre, as its going to cost so much across 10miles of road. Anyone care to estimate?!