Community discussions

titius
Topic Author

rts/cts protection not working

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:13 pm

hi, I have 7 mikrotik cpes at clients and all are connectiong to mikrotik AP.
I set rts cts treshold to 1 at all clients to check if there is rts packets with wireshark and mikrotik packet sniffer but there are none.

What can be the problem?

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: rts/cts protection not working

Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:09 pm

What is the communication protocol? Is it just plain802.11x or Nstreme/Nv2 is used over it? RTS/CTS protection is used only when you are using 802.11x alone.

We are using RTS/CTS for packets with length over 500 bytes and it does work.

titius
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Plain wireless no Nv protocols.

How do you see it is working? i tried wireshark and cannot find any rts neither cts packet.

My setting is 512. At clients. Also tried with 1 to see if there is any rts. Not just MT cpes but various wireless AP clients do not send rts requests, at least I cannot detect them with wireshark.

No setting on AP.

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 pm

use nstream
leave rts/cts as default
nstream automaticlly resolve hidden node problem
rodolfo
IZ0UQV

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:23 am

How do you see it is working? i tried wireshark and cannot find any rts neither cts packet.
the throughput on AP significantly improved and we checked it using a wireless sniffer too.

I am not sure you can see management packets just by using wireshark. I think you need a special wifi driver/card for it which allows you to catch all packets properly including the management ones (if we are talking about windows). I am using wireshark only for ethernet traffic ...
Here (http://wiki.wireshark.org/Wi-Fi) you can find an article which says there are 2 types of wifi card/drivers so it can happen you don't get the managements frames...

Note: we verified the RTS/CTS behavior some time ago - on ROS 3.xx and wireless-test package. I believe the 4.x a 5.x ROS branches are OK too.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:37 pm

the throughput on AP significantly improved and we checked it using a wireless sniffer too.

I am not sure you can see management packets just by using wireshark. I think you need a special wifi driver/card for it which allows you to catch all packets properly including the management ones (if we are talking about windows). I am using wireshark only for ethernet traffic ...
Here (http://wiki.wireshark.org/Wi-Fi) you can find an article which says there are 2 types of wifi card/drivers so it can happen you don't get the managements frames...

Note: we verified the RTS/CTS behavior some time ago - on ROS 3.xx and wireless-test package. I believe the 4.x a 5.x ROS branches are OK too.
I guess this control packets are done in Hardware. So the PC will not even see this packets.
We've had not much success with RTS/CTS. Better use nstreme/nv2 instead.

titius
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:12 am

I cannot use nstreme. As for the rtspackets there must be a way in wireshark to see them because there are filters for displaying just rts or just cts or any management packets.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:45 am

I cannot use nstreme. As for the rtspackets there must be a way in wireshark to see them because there are filters for displaying just rts or just cts or any management packets.
You can do a packet dump on a MT-Router and load it into wireshark. But you will not see
rts/cts packets. May be there are special debugging cards/debugging mode for cards to get
this packets?? As it is time critical this will be done by the card.

pussuns
just joined

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Maybe this will help you http://revision3.com/search/search?q=wifi101

titius
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 pm

pussuns dont spam link is not usable it shows nothing just empty search through a site.

Ok so I cannot detect it with mikrotik sniffer neither wireshark and plain wifi card.

Ill search more on MONITOR mode then :)

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 pm

pussuns dont spam link is not usable it shows nothing just empty search through a site.

Ok so I cannot detect it with mikrotik sniffer neither wireshark and plain wifi card.

Ill search more on MONITOR mode then :)
maybe this will interest you:
"If you have trouble getting Wireshark working with existing client cards, then consider purchasing AirPcap, which is a USB-based 802.11 radio designed to work effectively with Wireshark. It comes with drivers tuned to Wireshark and operates very well. An external antenna is also included with AirPcap, which increases the listening ability of the tool. "

a citation from http://www.wireless-nets.com/resources/ ... shark.html

Or maybe you can try to find which wifi cards works with 'pro' sniffers like Airopeek etc and try them with wireshark

titius
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:21 am

airodump and linux did the trick. tried it late yesterday. I saw RTS and CTS.

And then something confusing came out. RTS_TX RTS_RX :X

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:28 pm

airodump and linux did the trick. tried it late yesterday. I saw RTS and CTS.

And then something confusing came out. RTS_TX RTS_RX :X
RTS received and RTS xmitted ?

titius
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Ah yes, possibile. :)