Community discussions

MikroTik App

Wazza
Topic Author

Wireless with multiple AP's for mobile barcode readers.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi all,

Okay, so I've done some searching, and lots of discussion about similar things, but no definitive HOWTO, so I'm wondering if any of the wireless experts out there can help.

I have a warehouse, which requires at least 4 access points, possibly 6. The users, use mobile barcode scanners (hand held, as well as attached to forklift). They need to be able to move around, and use their PDT's anywhere, anytime, they happen to be. (Waiting for a reconnect etc. is not on!)

* Would like to use GrooveA-2Hn as AP's.
* All units will be uplinked back to backbone switched network via cat5/6.
* All units need to have the same SSID.
* Units will probably have different adjacent frequencies.
* 802.11b/g only. (n would be nice to have, but the PDT's don't support, in fact most only support b.)

So how to do this?
WDS seems to be useful only if your using wireless to interconnect the AP's, so we're not doing that.
Also it seems that WEP / WAP / WAP2 can cause problems in this type of mobile environment?

At a basic "ethernet" level, I see a problem with ARP requests, and a mobile environment. I guess this is why other vendors propose some sort of controller?

Is there a way to do this with all Mikrotik equipment, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Warren

TheWiFiGuy

Re: Wireless with multiple AP's for mobile barcode readers.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Very simple, we have many implementations in such an environment for fruit picking industry.

Set up the access points using same ssid, different channels (1,6,11 or similar) . Wire each AP back to a central switch, ensuring you have a central DHCP server.

Thats it, job done. We have systems running WEP and WPA depending on the scanner with no issues reported.