MikroTik App

mohannad
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Multi AP Same SSID

Wed May 02, 2012 2:50 am

Hello....
i wanna make about 10 AP with The Same SSID So users where ever move can always be connected
The AP will complete a circle around a Neighborhood
Frequency to be used is 2.4
but this way is not Effective because of self interference
any Ideals please?
* Number Of expected Users around 300

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multi AP Same SSID

Wed May 02, 2012 3:28 am

Hello....
i wanna make about 10 AP with The Same SSID So users where ever move can always be connected
The AP will complete a circle around a Neighborhood
Frequency to be used is 2.4
but this way is not Effective because of self interference
any Ideals please?
* Number Of expected Users around 300
Yes, you should make them all the SAME SSID! That is correct! However, you should alternate channels 1,6,11 to reduce interference. Same SSID does not cause interference. Using the same channel to close together does. So, alternate channels if you can.

Also, you should implement WDS so that clients can actually roam around the neighborhood while connected without dropping out as they move from AP to AP. This is optional, as most people stay in one place while using their laptops... and the dropout is only minor while switching from AP to AP without WDS.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 02, 2012 6:22 am

If they are on different channels WDS won't help.

If they are all the same SSID and connected to the same backbone roaming should work fine, always dependent on the client though.

Hotz1

Thu May 03, 2012 4:57 pm

If they are on different channels WDS won't help. If they are all the same SSID and connected to the same backbone roaming should work fine, always dependent on the client though.
As I understand it: WDS allows a single radio to serve as both AP and backhaul, and enables seamless client handoff from one AP to the next--at the cost of reduced network performance (protocol overhead, retransmission, and interference from all APs using the same channel).

Bridging the APs will yield better performance (allows non-overlapping channels, requires separate wlan/ether backhaul)--but when the client moves from one AP's coverage area to another's, it may drop connections when it disassociates & reassociates, even if the SSIDs (and security profiles, if any) are the same.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 03, 2012 5:05 pm

If they are on different channels WDS won't help. If they are all the same SSID and connected to the same backbone roaming should work fine, always dependent on the client though.
As I understand it: WDS allows a single radio to serve as both AP and backhaul, and enables seamless client handoff from one AP to the next--at the cost of reduced network performance (protocol overhead, retransmission, and interference from all APs using the same channel).

Bridging the APs will yield better performance (allows non-overlapping channels, requires separate wlan/ether backhaul)--but when the client moves from one AP's coverage area to another's, it may drop connections when it disassociates & reassociates, even if the SSIDs (and security profiles, if any) are the same.
You can use WDS with dual radios... you can even use WDS over CAT5 to join wireless radios. It doesn't have to be a single radio. It can, but it cuts the bandwidth in half. WDS is great! It keeps the mac-addresses known throughout the system so arp and such isn't a problem when you move from one AP to the next.

Hotz1

Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 pm

... you can even use WDS over CAT5 to join wireless radios...
How?! Are we talking Mesh/HWMP+ or in general?

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 03, 2012 5:45 pm

AP 1 - card 1 AP Bridge WDS

AP 2 - card 1 station WDS + card 2 AP Bridge WDS

AP 3 - card 1 station WDS + card 2 AP Bridge

All 5 wireless will be bridged as if they were connected to a switch, no real bandwidth drops to speak of.

Hotz1

Thu May 03, 2012 5:53 pm

I mean how to configure WDS over Ethernet. I only see it as a Mesh Port option.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 04, 2012 6:04 pm

You don't need WDS if you have an ethernet connection.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 04, 2012 7:22 pm

You don't need WDS if you have an ethernet connection.

I'm not sure I understand your question.
0ldman, WDS allows seamless roaming between wireless access points. The way those access points are connected to each other may be wireless or wired... but the client (laptop) will be wireless and can roam between them without interruption.

Without WDS, the roaming is momentairly interrupted as the laptop disconnects from one access point and reconnects to the next one.

That is one purpose of WDS... to allow seamless roaming. Now, whether or not they need seamless roaming, that is another question.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 04, 2012 7:52 pm

You can have seamless roaming without WDS. As a matter of fact I've had better results without WDS.

WDS isn't for roaming and you can't have WDS connections going over different frequencies.

I have done quite a bit of testing on the subject on my own time as well as on the time clock.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:23 am

AP 1 - card 1 AP Bridge WDS

AP 2 - card 1 station WDS + card 2 AP Bridge WDS

AP 3 - card 1 station WDS + card 2 AP Bridge

All 5 wireless will be bridged as if they were connected to a switch, no real bandwidth drops to speak of.

where is the AP Bridge WDS option??

Hotz1

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:26 am

I mean how to configure WDS over Ethernet. I only see it as a Mesh Port option.
You don't need WDS if you have an ethernet connection. I'm not sure I understand your question.
Earlier:
You can use WDS with dual radios... you can even use WDS over CAT5 to join wireless radios...

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:03 pm

You can have seamless roaming without WDS. As a matter of fact I've had better results without WDS.

WDS isn't for roaming and you can't have WDS connections going over different frequencies.

I have done quite a bit of testing on the subject on my own time as well as on the time clock.
So what would be the best setup for covering a building with lets say about 8 to 10 MT (or any other) APs which can all be conected to a switch with UTP cable and keep good performance with as much connection loss (disconects when switching AP's) or bandwith penalty?

1. set the same SSID on all of them and allign them on different non overlaping channels but do NOT enable WDS ?
2. set the same SSID on all of them and allign them on different non overlaping channels but DO enable WDS?
3. set the same SSID on all of them and allign them on same channel and use WDS?
4. do not use the same SSID and let the user roam? - sure we can do better.
5. mesh?
6. ?

I'm puzzled reading all the posts ... can wds help to improve roaming process between multiple LAN connected APs using sames SSID and security profiles?

any other ideas welcome ...

JF

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:55 am

why can't we have a simple MESH solution from Mikrotik.

life will get so simple and exciting the moment Mikrotik gets a complete MESH solution similar to Ubiquiti UniFi. :-)

-sid

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Using the same SSID and non overlapping channels works the best for the highest number of clients and best throughput.

WDS does absolutely nothing if your AP isn't connected to another WDS AP or station.

SwartKatZA
just joined

Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi!

Found this thread on google. We have 3 MT routers 1 3011 and 2 cAP Wireless routers. However, our Fibre and DHCP is run by a netgate SG5100.

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction to setup CAPsMAN on the 3011, and then have the 2 cAP routers on one SSID. The only guides I find seems to make that I have to have the DHCP on the 3011.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:58 am

Hard wire all waps/caps...

Buy dual channel WAPs.

Expect the 2.4 radio to have problems with that many connections. (Mikrotik has some of the worst interference mitigation I have seen) and the 2.4 radios really take it hard.

As others noted... Spread channels by GEOGRAPHY.

Don't worry about WDS.

xavierbt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:25 am

why can't we have a simple MESH solution from Mikrotik.

life will get so simple and exciting the moment Mikrotik gets a complete MESH solution similar to Ubiquiti UniFi. :-)

-sid
Which mesh configuration uses Audience models that are sold as specifically mesh capable?