Community discussions

MikroTik App

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

rb200 with Atheros AR5211 and link quality quesiton

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:12 pm

I have two rb200 both have an Atheros AR5211 card. The units are 3/4 of a mile apart both clear line of site from the top of my building to the top of a 30" tower on the mountain and no trees around it. There is a larger cell tower about 200" behind and to the right of our tower.

I was using an omni 10db at 5200 mhz at the tower and on our office a directional 30db cone type antani listed that I bought from mikrotik (listed on this site.

The link strenth was -79 and I was able to set the bandwidth to 24Megs.

We needed to setup another link which was 5 miles across the valley to the omni but we could never get a connection. After some investigating I was told that regulatory requirements in 5.2 forced the 802.11a cards to use a lower power at 5.2 instead of using 5.8.

So yesterday we replaced the antani on our roof to a 22db grid antani at 5805 mhz and droped our tower and replaced the 5.2 omni with a 5.8 10db omni.

our link strenth is now -70. but i am only able to get 6m link now.

And I sitll can not get a connection at the other location across the valley.

Do you have any suggestions what to try next? I have some the sr2 or sr5 cards (forget at the mometn which one is 802.11a). Which means I could run the card at 400mw but personally just throwing extra power on the connection to me isn't nessary always the best way to solve the issue. I'd rather have a better lower power connection than having to push the singal out much harder with power.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Michael Perdue

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:35 pm

ok since i've gotten no responce let me ask a very directive quesiton. How i force the Atheros AR5211 radio to put out it's max power? (just to be sure I have it set to maxium instead of minumum.)

miroxy
just joined

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:24 am

Just try to play with frequency, sometimes radio don't work on all frequencies with same performance, in that situation just change frequency few chanels up or down and link will be OK