MikroTik App

ViREnG
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

[Req - SOFTWARE] Create Coverage Map of Wireless Netwrok

Thu May 31, 2012 10:48 am

Hello Friends
How can I create a Wireless network coverage for my network , I have a medium size of Wireless network on 2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz Freq with about 18 Site (about 150KM^2)
I want create a Coverage map like This website : http://www.mywificoverage.com/ <-- This site is free for create just one site
Anyone know a better software like above link to create a coverage map without test in each zone ?
Thanks

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 pm

I successfully male a coverage map of My network using and tweaking radiomobile. The accuracy is very close to reality. It takes a while before RAdiomobile gets configured, but There are a lot of guides around. And it's free
Renato Bernardi

ViREnG
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: [Req - SOFTWARE] Create Coverage Map of Wireless Netwrok

Thu May 31, 2012 6:03 pm

I successfully male a coverage map of My network using and tweaking radiomobile. The accuracy is very close to reality. It takes a while before RAdiomobile gets configured, but There are a lot of guides around. And it's free
Don't support 2.4 and 5.8Ghz :? and don't have flat antenna or sector antenna ... !!?
anyone have a better solution ?

slech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 31, 2012 9:49 pm

sorry for my english

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am

It does support from 100mhz to 30ghz, you have to configure it to match you needs and your specifics.
A perfect "out of the box" software which is free doesn't exist. A lot of commercial version (which are a copy of Radiomobile) are out and they have the templates you are looking for.
Renato Bernardi

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Don't support 2.4 and 5.8Ghz :? and don't have flat antenna or sector antenna ... !!?
anyone have a better solution ?
Nearly all commercial tools that you will find, are actually using Radio Mobile as the calculation engine. I think it is the best. It supports all frequencies, including 2.4 and 5.8GHz
No answer to your question? How to write posts

fgoldstein
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:28 pm

One thing to note about MyWifiCoverage and RadioMobile -- they're basically the same thing underneath. RadioMobile is the free product. It's incredibly powerful, but takes some time to learn and to get the settings right for your application. MyWifiCoverage is the new pay-to-use version by the same author. It is easier to use, but can get expensive for a large network. It doesn't necessarily create a more accurate map, though, since it uses the same underlying mechanisms, which are based on the Longley-Rice propagation model and the SRTM topo mapping data.

Credit to Roger, though, for doing this all for free for so many years, only recently trying to really monetize it, in partnership with another supporter of the WISP community.

Boo

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 pm

This one works well but doesn't calculate for you, would be a lot of foot work with it.
http://www.netspotapp.com/

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:50 am

MyWifiCoverage is the new pay-to-use version by the same author
you are right that it uses radiomobile underneath, but the authors are not related. mywificoverage is made by one of our distributors, Link Technologies.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

Tbird
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:01 pm

For other antenna patterns - have a look here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10092
Many seems to use UBNT antennas, and they can be found here: http://www.ubnt.com/support/patterndata

As in many aspects of life - there is no way around reading and learning. In my perspective - RadioMobile is priceless, but you have to learn it first. I especially like the export functions and the ability to make Google Earth overlay-files for coverage display - like these: