Community discussions

MikroTik App

zburget
just joined
Topic Author

VLANs over wireless

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi,
I've one relatively big problem today...
I was one wifi bridge with LANs realized by virtual AP with WDS. One side of bridge is on RB711 with license Level 3. I was there RouterOS version 5.6 and everything worked.
But only to upgrade to RouterOS 5.18. Then all virtual APs losts and RB say me that license level does not allow virtual AP :-(
Is now on ROS v. 5.18 another way to build wifi bridge with VLANs on license level 3? Or some wise head in MT invented the shit?

Thanks for any advice on how to solve the problem

Zbynek Burget

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

VLANs over wireless

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Set up your link as Bridge ->station and create an eoip interface over the link to carry the all the vlans.

zburget
just joined
Topic Author

Re: VLANs over wireless

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:51 pm

NO!!!
EoIP NO!!!
I NEED "native" VLAN!!!

When I could use EoIP, believe me, that I had it there. EoIP is really unusable due to fragmentation and reduced transmission lines almost in half. If I wanted to deal with EoIP, I asked the EoIP. When I ask the VLAN, then I need deal with VLAN!

First Fuck me with a new version of ROS and now that kind of advice :roll:

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

VLANs over wireless

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:54 pm

So your options are to either downgrade the RoS or buy a L4 license then.

zburget
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 am

This is what I feared - it is not advantageous to buy a level 4but the whole RB - but it means to climb two places quite inaccessible.
I have little hope that it is possible to use a different configuration for transmission VLANs over WiFi and therefore the possibility of virtual AP on level 3 canceled.
Where can I report my indignation over the fact that due to the restriction of level 3 is impossible use VLANs over WiFi on ROS v 5.18, please?

Thanks

Zbynek
Last edited by zburget on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotz1

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:59 pm

This is what I feared - it is not advantageous to buy a level 4but the whole RB - but it means to climb two places quite inaccessible.
I have little hope that it is possible to use a different configuration for transmission VLANs over WiFi and therefore the possibility of virtual AP on level 3 canceled.
Where can I report my indignation over the fact that due to the restriction of level 3 is impossible use VLANs over WiFi ROS on v 5.18, please?
Actually, that this worked with Level 3 in earlier versions of ROS was a bug, so you may want to thank them instead for not requiring a L4 license all along. It's not that expensive, and it can be upgraded remotely.

zburget
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:03 pm

list price $ 45 for level 4 is for upgrade RB711 really very high price...

This does nothing to alter on the fact that the new version of ROS makes facilities such as RB 711 completely useless for networks with VLANs...
Once in Mikrotik correct such bugs, as a virtual AP at level 3, they would need to fix the real bug, for example, WDS does not pass through VLAN tagged traffic. Then it would not be necessary to invent workarounds with virtual AP.

Zbynek