Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ginsu
Topic Author

PTMP With Mikrotik

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:16 pm

I need some help in your experience, what is the best equipment to mount a PTMP network with mikrotik.

Right now i work with mikrotik to PTP links and with Ubiquiti to PTMP.

are the SEXTANT 5HnD good CPEs? what are the best Panels to use for the AP? I'm interested in making a N 2x2 Mimo NV2 Network.

Thank u for your help and advice

Ginsu
Topic Author

Re: PTMP With Mikrotik

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Can anyone give me some advice on this please?

Thank you!

Ginsu
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Bump

ohara

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:22 pm

It depends on your expectations and objectives.

For PTMP it's essential to know if you want to provide to customers Internet only, or if you want to bridge the customers into one network. If you want to let the customers exchange files between each other, then this is going to exhaust your link, because the AP will perform heavy rx/tx operations in both sides. Therefore QOS and limits are important factor in PTMP, because the link is not dedicated to one CPE anymore. You may be well of installing MIMO 2x2 AP and leave SISO 1x1 for the CPE.

As per antennas you should look for low VSWR ratio. You should use a frequency that is optimal for all CPE's. You will end up adjusting the transmit power of your AP to achieve best link conditions, and vice versa: you will adjust transmit power on CPE's depending on how far they are located.

Sextant is good CPE, unless you install it on a crowded tower that is full of competitor devices operating in a similar frequency range.

Ginsu
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks for the answer
In this network im gonna give customers Internet and Voip services. they can't share files between clients, all they clients are isolated.

ohara

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:20 pm

This means that your links will use tcp extensively. tcp protocol requires a lot of CPU resources. pick your AP router based on the number of customers that you will have and based on the desired bandwidth that you want to offer.

If you have a handfull of customers then each RB with MIMO card will suit you. The more bandwith you need, the more expensive it gets and a RB435G may become your best choice - it has a fast cpu to handle the traffic and gigabit port.

If customers are in one direction use MIMO panels/sectors. If they are in multiple directions use two wireless cards in your RB but choose different frequencies for each link. If they are in all directions I recommend looking for a MIMO omni antenna - quite rare but already available.

Here is some further reading for you:
http://www.conniq.com/WiMAX/mimo-01.htm
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55471

Ginsu
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:57 pm

My original idea is very similar to what you say. My doubt is wich manufacturer i pick for the sector antenna.
I look this 3 possibilities

ITELITE
http://www.itelite.net/es/Katalog/MIMO- ... HVBOX.html <---- 16 Dbi gain but Good frequency range 5.1 - 5.9 Ghz
http://www.itelite.net/es/Katalog/MIMO- ... HVBOX.html <--- 18 Dbi gain but Bad frequency range 5.4 - 5.9 Ghz

ARCflex
http://www.antennas.com/products/base-station-antennas/

Ubiquiti
http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#tisector

Do you know or try some of this antennas? what can u tell me about them, in my opinion the ARCflex are the most suitable for me i need to cover 360 and 5km.

ohara

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 pm

ARCFlex is not popular in my country and I have never come across it. I am wondering who can provide some feedback about these antennas? How durable are they, where are they produced? The 19-21 dbi version looks very solid to me and I would like to have one.

Be carefull with those ITELITE sectors because these are antennas in outdoor enclosure and they don't seem to have connectors if you want to attach a second antenna. There is just one ethernet pigtail. If you are planning to buy 3 such antennas to cover 360 and you want to put a router in each of them that's fine.

I don't like AirMax Titanium because of the price and the SMA connectors.

My favourite antenna brand in terms of cost/quality is Horizon, i.e.:
http://interline.pl/modules/content/ind ... C-17/5X-HV

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:41 am

ARCFlex is not popular in my country and I have never come across it. I am wondering who can provide some feedback about these antennas? How durable are they, where are they produced? The 19-21 dbi version looks very solid to me and I would like to have one.

Be carefull with those ITELITE sectors because these are antennas in outdoor enclosure and they don't seem to have connectors if you want to attach a second antenna. There is just one ethernet pigtail. If you are planning to buy 3 such antennas to cover 360 and you want to put a router in each of them that's fine.

I don't like AirMax Titanium because of the price and the SMA connectors.

My favourite antenna brand in terms of cost/quality is Horizon, i.e.:
http://interline.pl/modules/content/ind ... C-17/5X-HV
We prefer antennas with enclosures. This separates radios to reduce interference und avoids coax cable runs. Dont use this cheap plastic outdoor enclosures.

Ginsu
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm in Argentina, imports are complicated right now over here.

But i'm going to try to get some ARCflex or an Horizon antennas.

Which wireless card is recommended to be used on the ap miktrotik? and can i rely on SEXTANT 5HnD as CPEs?

ohara

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:32 pm

For 5Ghz: Dbii F52N-PRO and R52Hn are standard. These two radios work well together. You have to calculate disconnects and link drops into your project but it usually happens only on links with obstacles or limited LOS. A short disconnect can mute your VOIP call for a few seconds, but it should not disconnect it. In this regard hardware is important, but key point that matters most is correct software setup and perfect installation. Therefore, if you are just launching a new network, I would recommend you to buy from your local distributor before ordering overseas.

Sextant - I don't use it, but I believe it's at least as reliable as SXT. Maybe someone else can say something more about it.

karina

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 am

I have many SXT's operating very well. the range depends on your AP of course. The SXT is what you would expect for the price. It performs well but lacks build quality and shielding. As a CPE it is fine and that is what it is designed for. An SXT has roughly the range of a nanostation M5,

UBNT devices are prettier and more rugged however, In my opinion, the SXT wins as it has the power of routeros on board.

And of course you get the backing of this forum. The Mikrotik community is one of the greatest bunch of guys on the planet :-)

taduikis

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:47 am

Sextants are basically rb711-5hnd routerboards hooked up to 18dbi dualpol antennas. In fact you can take rb out and use it as you want.Like all mikrotik rb's they work as they are supposed to.

I still think there should be a bigger gap in antenna gain between sxt and sextant..

Ginsu
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for all your answers im gonna try to make a mikrotik distribution point and write back to you my experience.

mcskiller

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:05 pm

very useful info. I'm from Argentina too. regards

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

Beeski

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:54 pm

we are upgrading to:
AP = RB800 with 3 R52Hn cards
Poynting dual-pol enclosure with 60degree sector antenna
90 degree dual-pol Ubiquiti sector antennas