Community discussions

MikroTik App

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Holes in bottom of outdoor box supplied with rb500

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Just wondering if they are necissary. I have never seen holes in boxes before used for outdoor Ap's etc. I worry about insects entering and also eventual corrosion of internal parts? is it long term tested or is there a reason?

djape

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:08 pm

I would like to say something, but I can't cause I also produce boxes :D

It wouldn't be fair.

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:01 pm

Well I wish you would say something!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:24 pm

it's for condensation. if there is no hole, water will start to appear inside the box after temperature changes. even hdd enclosures have small holes for `breathing`

HarvSki

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:24 pm

You could alway poke a bit of mesh into it if you're worried about insects.

djape

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:18 pm

Don't worry about insects, I found dead spiders and some unknown organisms inside MT last year, they are still there cause I didn't want to touch it :D
That MT still works without problem :)

Cheers...

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:40 pm

... ask MT to send you a bug-fix ;-)

djape

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:57 pm

Yeah :D

I'll think about that. I think those bugs are bringing me luck.

I kinda started to like them ;)

Cheers..

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:09 pm

Insects bring eternal life ..... (anybody ever watched Cronos, or am I the only movie geek in here?). :D

I don't know if this is related, but I found water after heavy rain inside one of the RB/532 boards I installed.

The whole box was perfectly sealed, but since it was installed only about 10cm off a concrete ground, I assumed the rain had splashed off the ground high enough to enter through these 'breather holes'.

We found out about the problem because the link (PtP) was losing a lot of packets. We found th Ethernet port completely rusted and the RJ45 a dark shade of black :-).... but the board still kept on working.

aviper
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:56 pm

Spiders are dudes :).
I've got problem with them only once. Due to the common way of building ISPs in my country (huge switch LANs sometimes with more than 15 switch deeps) I often have devices in hi places (posts, houses, under roofs and etc.). And I branch of the network gone down couple of month ago. When I reach the bad switch, I found that one Spider made an "hive" in the 5th ethernet port of the switch :) and the eggs shorts the port :). I've remove the switch with the happy family and throw it away :). Spiders love electronics they like warm places for their hives, soo it is understandable their behaviour :). I'm happy to help nature growing stronger hohoho :).

About the holes. The main strategie of the cases is not to prevent water coming inside but to make easier swelling. Soo few holes in the bottom of the case aren't unduly.
Last edited by aviper on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:56 am

At one tower site, the ants LOVED the fiber tranceiver that feeds internet to the house our shed gets power from. Hundreds of ants mobbing the little thing. Must be the 850nm glow or something. I sprayed it with ant spray and it still functions fine.

At another tower site, there is a hole in the floor (50 year old building) where snakes come and go. Snakes love my Alvarion radios laying on the rack shelves. The warm metal cases must be nice to curl up with, since the radios have a good coating of dried snake sh** on them. This site also gets wasps in the roof once in a while. We are getting rid of that shack next summer and have a new prefab wooden shed for everything.

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:08 am

At another tower site, there is a hole in the floor (50 year old building) where snakes come and go. Snakes love my Alvarion radios laying on the rack shelves. The warm metal cases must be nice to curl up with, since the radios have a good coating of dried snake sh** on them. This site also gets wasps in the roof once in a while. We are getting rid of that shack next summer and have a new prefab wooden shed for everything.
Throw up a webcam and start a virtual zoo... maybe even start a TV series

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:29 pm

WOW! What anoverwhelming response. It certailny looks like insects and reptiles are the true guardians of the WISP. If only I knew how important those little holes were ;)

I don't know how I manged to opperate effectivly without insects doing their business inside the AP's.

Looks like the holes must stay :)

djape

Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:12 pm

lol

tobias
just joined

RB/OM19

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi,

I have just bought the RB/OM19 hotspot and it also has 3 holes near the bottom.
I'm a bit worried about rain because this panel is pointing *downwards* (it is on a tall building and the backhaul is down to groundlevel on a building next door). Here (Africa) we have serious rain and I can only imagine rain getting in through these holes.
Is MT not thinking about these issues? I am also dissapointed with the overall quality of the casing (on one unit the metalplate is slightly seperated from the plastic casing allowing water to get in easilly around the edges (especually if pointing downwards).
So I'm finding myself having to put silicone everywhere. Not impressed, it seems to be made for allmost indoor use and not for serious environments with lots of rain and sun. :cry:

regards,
Tobias

odie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:43 pm

if you think that you can seal the box 100% then you are wrong !!!

the box is breathing - the air expands when it is warmer and and collapses when it gets colder - so if there is no hole then the air comes through maybee the antenna or the powercabel - but it for sure comes in somewhere

as averybody should know that warm air can hold more water then cold then you can see this water condensing when the whole thing gets colder .....
as long as the box is full of it !!!!!!!

long ago we used 14dbi falt panel "high end" antennas from hyperlink - after half a year they startetd to die - they work until they are about 1/3 full of water ;-)).......
there is no hole where tha water could come out .......

tobias
just joined

holes

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:41 pm

Hi,

Holes are fine, except they should be put in a location or designed in such a way that water does not enter the unit when the antenna is pointing downwards.....

regards,
tobias

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: holes

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:44 pm

Hi,

Holes are fine, except they should be put in a location or designed in such a way that water does not enter the unit when the antenna is pointing downwards.....

regards,
tobias
yes, just like the normal Routerboard outdoor cases do. The hole is on the bottom

boardman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:46 pm

it's for condensation. if there is no hole, water will start to appear inside the box after temperature changes. even hdd enclosures have small holes for `breathing`
Throw some silica bags inside of the box...

Best

aviper
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:46 am

Throw some silica bags inside of the box...

Best
Is this working ? How much kilos of silica we should use :)?

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Professional solution ...

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:31 pm

The professional way is to place drain-plug into the bottom of the case. The you have no probs with water, insects and pressure in the case

Regards,

Tom

cuccio
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:02 pm

IP67 this disowned....................................

Bye
Cuccio

vince

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:18 pm

we are also suffering problems with routerboard outdoor boxes. The problem started after some days of heavy rain. Some of the AP started to have a very bad ethernet connection.

After disconnecting the RJ45 from the box we found it was filled with water. Now the question is: Where does that water found the way in the box? Is it possible that condesation also finds the way out on the RJ45 plug?

Its is quite difficult that the water came into the joint on the protection cause we seal it with an tape.

We are really worried about this because we suppose all routerboards outdoor boxes will cause this problem sooner than later if we can't find a solution.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks in advance

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:29 pm

you can search for the silica formula which gives the amount needed per mW of power , but dont forget that the insect is the best NOISE KILLER ............... looooooooool

Coming Soon ..... RB532-IK .......with insect killer ....

in the future we shall not ask about wht's the distance or how many users or how fast is the RB , we shall ask how many insects RB will kill per second !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chvdr

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:36 pm

Don't worry about insects, I found dead spiders and some unknown organisms inside MT last year, they are still there cause I didn't want to touch it :D

Cheers...
i have dead MT box cause many ants were die into the mainboard.

regards,
C. G.

matt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:50 pm

We use Foam to cover all of our holes to allow breathing and to keep the little kritters out.

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:37 am

we are also suffering problems with routerboard outdoor boxes. The problem started after some days of heavy rain. Some of the AP started to have a very bad ethernet connection.

After disconnecting the RJ45 from the box we found it was filled with water. Now the question is: Where does that water found the way in the box? Is it possible that condesation also finds the way out on the RJ45 plug?

Its is quite difficult that the water came into the joint on the protection cause we seal it with an tape.

We are really worried about this because we suppose all routerboards outdoor boxes will cause this problem sooner than later if we can't find a solution.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks in advance
Probably the boot for the cat5 was too tight. We leave it a little loose so the box can breathe.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:41 am

Cheers...
i have dead MT box cause many ants were die into the mainboard.

regards,
C. G.
----
yes, you are right..!!
last week, i can't retransmite pinging.....cause the ants party on RJ-Female RB511 with 38 tower high..!!! :lol:
oh i see this solved
one quastion: why is the ant making love to Routerboard....?

regards
Hasbullah.com
----

vince

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:09 am

Probably the boot for the cat5 was too tight. We leave it a little loose so the box can breathe.
Sorry, but I don't know what's the boot. Do you mean it is necesary to permit air flow in the RJ45 protection?

In that case it will be just the oposite what we are thinking.

The amount of water inside the insulator makes me think it is not condensation. This saturday we had the same problem again. The AP has been outside only for a week and the RJ45 was completely rusted. In this case we didn't use the tape over the insulator.

Its starting to be a big problem for us. And the source of the water isn't clear. We have placed a piece of metal inside the box, close to the holes to check if water acumulates inside the box and find on the ethernet connection a way out.

May be is a silly test but we don't know what to do.

regards.

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:54 am

I think different effects are happening in different types of climate. I think with the holes you always risk corrosion of some parts inside and in my experience in West Europe the wet cool weather this time of year seems to cause problems for us if there is any hole. I would say for us certainly it has proven a mistake to have holes. In fact just the other day this was proven when we had a signal loss on one unit. We replaced the pigtail and radio card and that fixed it for one day. After that same prob happened when it got cold after dark when wet next night. We this time replaced radio pigtail and also sealed the holes and have had no probs since.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:15 am

I still can't imagine how water can get into your case, if the holes are on the bottom of it. It was actually proven to be the opposite - that any closed casing must breathe in order not to start condensating because of the heat generated by the routerboard

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:24 am

I still can't imagine how water can get into your case, if the holes are on the bottom of it. It was actually proven to be the opposite - that any closed casing must breathe in order not to start condensating because of the heat generated by the routerboard
-----
I think easy how to make prevent water inside to RB, later i will give you with my traditional action cover...with image report....!! :wink:
now my problem like sometime ago, much ant stay and die on RB-RJ-Female...
that realy

your friend
Hasbullah.com
-----

kapusta_kiszona
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:13 pm

One of my PC MT machines mounted on tower with windows open was hanging up every few hours in the spring time. Before It was working perfectly.

Inside was a nest of small flies approx 1mm long. They was attracted by heat and there was thousands of them! Many was dead after flying thru the fans. They was walking everywhere and probably making shortcuts on mainboard. When this small flies started flying it was impossible to breath without protection.

vince

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:23 am

Normis, I don't know if water is coming into the box through the holes. And I don't know if water is getting into the box. What I know is that we had water in the RJ45 connector. And that happen with big and small outdoor boxes.

More even we had the problem on boxes assembled by Mikrotik and boxes assembled by us.

We haven't had any heavy rain latelly so I can't say if it is still happening.

Regards.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:28 am

maybe you can send pictures of the water affected connectors? rigth from the installation? we will try to figure out how it got there.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:31 pm

there is probability that if you tighten screws too tight cover bends and water can get into the box :roll: please check that. also check if your insulator or how this black something protecting rj45 is assembled correctly, and does not leak or is assembled correctly and is not tightened enough.

i would suggest to use weatherproof protective tape to seal cover (f you do not want to mess with - how-tight-is-tight-enough-to-protect-from-water-and-not-bend-the-cover.

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 pm

I've lost a PC MB in a weatherproof housing after a big storm. The water got sucked through the UTP cable (inside!) due to a small puncture somewhere outside and because of the high winds & pressure differences, it sucked the water inside the UTP and flowed nicely down the MB. Wish I took a picture, but you could clearly see the flow-marks running from the ethernet port (right on top inside the otherwise dry box) down the MB.

So I guess holes at the bottom aren't your only problem anymore... Make sure those UTPs aren't damaged anywhere.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:07 pm

There are special outdoor grade Cat5/6/7 cables, although they are not as cheap as standard ones, of course.
Those do have (apart from usually being UV-stabilized) provisions to keep moisture/water from getting into the cable even in case of a small hole or the like.
The two types I know are
a) one where the cable is filled with a gel (nasty to work with those - keep lots of cleaning material nearby ;-) ) and
b) ones with some white "powder" inside, which will seal up the hole immediately when getting wet.

Best regards,
Christian Meis

Chofex
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:07 am

We always make a huge U turn below the MB to avoid water getting into RJ45. And we use only aluminium cases. We haven't had any trouble with water with MBs ever. What we do have is wet panels! And they surely loose a few dBs when moistened...