Community discussions

MikroTik App

alzeno
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wireless Model

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi, I want to broadcast internet using wireless broadcast device. The client will receive the service by his laptop.
Which Mikrotik wireless model I should choose for doing this?
The covered area is about 200-400m.

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Wireless Model

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 pm

it depends on the number of concurrent clients attached to one access point and bandwidth you want to deliver to users

troy

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 pm

The GrooveA combined with a 5db omni antenna would probably be the least expensive to start with, but any MT device with a Level-4 license will work.

400m is too much for a laptop though. You'll be lucky to get 40m indoors and 90m outdoors. In an outdoor network, a laptop might see an AP from 2-3km away, but it will not be able to associate. You can probably get a little more distance with a larger antenna, but not much. The laptop is still the limiting factor.

To cover a 400m radius for laptops in an outdoor environment, you're probably looking at 35-40 access points. Indoors, it's much more, depending on the layout and materials in the building, it could be as many as 150 or more.

-Troy

alzeno
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi Troy, what you suggest me to do if I want to broadcast Internet in about 200m radius?
1-Use an omni antenna with GrooveA?
2-Use a USB external modem for Laptop clients?
Another question, I read in Mikrotik website "The Groove 5Hn has a RouterOS Level3 license, so you can use it as a wireless client or for point to point links.", can I use it as a wireless broadcast station for clients?, and is there a larger Mikrotik model that can I use it?

Thanks in advance

alzeno
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:01 pm

What about Wideband 10dB Outdoor Omni Antenna, and StationBox Mikro Enclosure with 5GHz 15dB MiMo Antenna?, do you think that they are suitable for me?

troy

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:12 pm

The system/antenna you choose will make little difference. 2.4/5.8 will not make a huge difference either when it comes to providing access to laptops and other consumer devices. They all have a limited range.

I mention the groove only because it's a very low cost solution and available in either L3 or L4. In terms of antennas, you can stick anything you want on them with any appropriate connectors/adapters.