Community discussions

MikroTik App

rastod
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to configure brigde on wireless client ?

Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:18 pm

Hi all,
wow can I configure NAT on Mikrotik bridge that is working as a wireless client ? I need to get simmilar functionality as on any simple "wireless bridge". The result is that all IP traffic of ethernet clients is NATed to MAC address of wireless interface of the Mikrotik. I suppose that I need to configure src-nat rule on bridge firewall but how? And especially how to handle ARP requests ?

cibernet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: How to configure brigde on wireless client ?

Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:48 am

Hi all,
wow can I configure NAT on Mikrotik bridge that is working as a wireless client ? I need to get simmilar functionality as on any simple "wireless bridge". The result is that all IP traffic of ethernet clients is NATed to MAC address of wireless interface of the Mikrotik. I suppose that I need to configure src-nat rule on bridge firewall but how? And especially how to handle ARP requests ?
chain=srcnat src-address=(lan) action=masquerade
Regards

rastod
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:01 pm

Is it NAT rule for bridge? How it handes ARP requests? It seems to be only IP masquarading.

cibernet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:04 pm

Is it NAT rule for bridge? How it handes ARP requests? It seems to be only IP masquarading.
Masquerade = NAT...

Regards

rastod
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:05 pm

I am sorry, you probably do not know what I am talking about. I mean MAC translation, not IP. Please anyone if you know how to configure bridge NAT to correctly handle ARP and MAC translation, please answer.

cibernet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:16 pm

I am sorry, you probably do not know what I am talking about. I mean MAC translation, not IP. Please anyone if you know how to configure bridge NAT to correctly handle ARP and MAC translation, please answer.
I don´t know because you don´t EXPLAIN what do you want to do... be more especific..

Proxy-arp? or do you want to the hosts behind the wireless clients check the ARP table? or what... explain a little more...

Regards

rastod
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:02 pm

OK, sorry, I'll try to explain better: I would like to configure MikroTIK to the same functionality as a simple "wireless bridge client" device.

So, in following configuration:

users <-- ethernet --> MTclient <-- wireless --> AccessPoint <-- WAN

if there are more IP users, all are accessing WAN with their IP addresses but MAC address is substituted by MAC address of MTclient.

I can try to explain it saying that I want to simulate the same functionality as a simple wireless AP (e.g. Ovislink 1120 or 5460 or many other simple wireless AP) configured as bridge and connected as wireless client. Any IP device connected to it's ethernet port can communicate through wireless link using a MAC address translation.

I do not know to explain it better :(

cibernet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:10 pm

OK, sorry, I'll try to explain better: I would like to configure MikroTIK to the same functionality as a simple "wireless bridge client" device.

So, in following configuration:

users <-- ethernet --> MTclient <-- wireless --> AccessPoint <-- WAN

if there are more IP users, all are accessing WAN with their IP addresses but MAC address is substituted by MAC address of MTclient.

I can try to explain it saying that I want to simulate the same functionality as a simple wireless AP (e.g. Ovislink 1120 or 5460 or many other simple wireless AP) configured as bridge and connected as wireless client. Any IP device connected to it's ethernet port can communicate through wireless link using a MAC address translation.

I do not know to explain it better :(
Fine, i now understand what do you want to do, for that you must use WDS and bridge, check this link for an example http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... o_Networks

Is that what do you want to do?

Regards!

rastod
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:39 pm

No, WDS is transparent for MAC so, every user acts with it's own IP and MAC address. I need to do such a configuration that is the same as in standard wireless client bridge.

ofasa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:07 pm

He wants to do MAC NAT. (Natting the MAC addresses behind the MT Client to the MT's MAC Address)

gabystallo
just joined

Re: How to configure brigde on wireless client ?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 pm

i know this is an old post, but i'm facing the exact same problem, i want to use the mtclient as a wireless station on nv2, so i need mac-translation (so the packets that go out the wireless interface has the mtclient mac !), and i can't use station-pseudobridge because i need nv2 protocol !

did someone figure this out ?

tnx