Community discussions

ohara
Topic Author

Bonding of wireless interfaces help

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:59 pm

This particular site has very difficult link conditions - no los - and more bandwidth is required. I decided to try bonding but I don't know which mode to choose for bandwidth aggregation between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. The AP (WDS) has enough bandwidth for aggregation, but so far I managed to setup successful failover only. Which bonding mode allows bandwidth aggregation in such scenario?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotz1

Re: Bonding of wireless interfaces help

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:22 pm

This particular site has very difficult link conditions - no los - and more bandwidth is required. I decided to try bonding but I don't know which mode to choose for bandwidth aggregation between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. The AP (WDS) has enough bandwidth for aggregation, but so far I managed to setup successful failover only. Which bonding mode allows bandwidth aggregation in such scenario?
Bonding Wifi signals is a shaky proposition to begin with; when you throw in a poor signal, it's just a bad idea. The reliability of a bonded connection is roughly the product of the reliability of the bonded links (e.g., 80% x 80% = 64%).

If you want more effective bandwidth, the first thing you need to do is figure out what it takes to establish one solid, reliable link. That may mean using 900MHz and high-gain antennas, or placing a relay station somewhere that has LOS to both endpoints. Once you have that, you can increase capacity by adding more links of the same kind and load-balancing between them. Each connection will be limited to the speed of one link, but you will be able to support more connections in parallel.
Principal, Engineering
Cape Ann Communications, Inc.
Gloucester, MA, USA

ohara
Topic Author

Re: Bonding of wireless interfaces help

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for looking into it and pointing out other solutions. Failover worked excellent in this scenario, but bandwidth did not increase - I knew it was too good to be true. I got lured to it by an article on wiki:

The total bandwidth achievable here is 2X the speed of the slowest link. Example: Lets say one link does 90 mbit and the other does 80 mbit your total throughput should be around 160 mbit (80 x 2).

ohara
Topic Author

Odp: Bonding of wireless interfaces help

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 pm

InoX, all I can say after reading your post is that bonding certainly works when you set it up on both sides of the wireless link. If you set it up on one side only it will just work as a simple failover. If you have different experience let me know.