Community discussions

miro10hr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PTMP with stations in same location

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi,

I have one possible scenario, but I'm not sure will it work or not. I don't have much experience with this.

I have AP and two Stations connecting to it. Stations would be practically on same location (same building), max. 30m (100 feet) apart, maybe even less.

Distance from AP to stations would be some 2-3km (10000 feet).

SXT G would be used as AP and basic SXT as Stations.

So, my question is how will AP and each Station communicate, cause Stations are very close to one another? Will this work or there will be problems? Would NV2 (TDM) be good here to share the time between stations or AP will have difficulties to make difference between two Stations?

ohara

Re: PTMP with stations in same location

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:54 pm

I can't see why there should be any problems that the customers are close neighbors. Maybe it's not state of the art, but it's common practice in PTMP networks.

ohara

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:13 pm

EDIT: An alternative is to use a custom CPE with RB433 that has 3 ethernet ports. Both customers would be connected to the same CPE via lan cable, but only one customer would be responsible for power supply (PoE), unless you find an alternative way to provide power supply to the unit.

ManyX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 pm

So, my question is how will AP and each Station communicate, cause Stations are very close to one another? Will this work or there will be problems?
it will work good.
Would NV2 (TDM) be good here to share the time between stations or AP will have difficulties to make difference between two Stations?
yes nv2 will be good but in ROS 5.21.
In 802.11 you wil have lower ping and bandwidth should be higher but jitter is very big
you must to know that NV2 is very sensitive to noise
if you use 802.11 don't forget to enabled rts/cts

miro10hr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for the answers.

I thought that NV2 is specially designed for such cases, where there is interference and point to multipoint situation, because of its TDM nature.

I have one more question. What is the minimum difference that Stations should be apart for everything to work fine? Will it be good in some 3m (10 feet)?

ManyX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 am

I thought that NV2 is specially designed for such cases, where there is interference
if you think so do the test :lol:

Look at the post #13
http://forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?p=284193
My company runs a mixed UBNT/Mikrotik network (~80% RouterOS, ~20% AirOS). Last year we replaced many of our 5GHz Mikrotik PtP Backhauls with UBNT gear.

Wispwest is correct in that I too had NV2 links that could surpass 200 Mbps throughput, but at that time the links were unstable, they would drop for no reason and reconnect numerous times a day. I was constantly changing frequencies, and altering mode nstreme/nv2.

We found that NV2 is very sensitive to noise. However with that said, as we replaced our Mikrotik PtP with Ubnt gear we also took advantage of Sirhc's shields. Since then the few remaining colocated Mikrotik backhauls have improved in stability by large margin. Unfortunately I haven't replaced any of our old Mikrotik equipment with shielded versions, as I am trying to keep colocated equipment all one vendor as much as possible so as we replace them we are using Ubnt gear.

Roughly speaking from our experience...

Link Stability AirMax > Nstreme > NV2
Max Throughput NV2 > Nstreme > AirMax (By a huge margin, esp TCP)
Latency AirMax > Nstreme > NV2
Colocation Throughput AirMax > Nstreme > NV2
Noisy Enviroment Throughput AirMax > Nstreme > NV2

I still prefer RouterOS by a large margin to AirOS for usability and flexibility, but so far we have been content with the Ubnt gear. This summer we are going to shield all our remaing sectors, but are going to leave them running RouterOS, I am kinda excited to see in similar setups how PtMP RouterOS will stack up against PtMP AirOS when using the same antennas and shielded sectors.

Beeski

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 pm

We have had office buildings with 6-7 CPE's on them.
Try to have at lease 1 meter / 3ft vertical separation.
Putting in a single 433 / 493 with ethernet runs to the customers is what we now do, once we get more than 2 CPE's on a building.

re: dual-pol, we are in the process of upgrading our single-polarity 5Ghz 90 degree sectors to dual-polarity. After a few test sites, we found having a shield is a must. So far....so good.