Community discussions

jmatuska
Topic Author

lost connection, not polled for too long, wireless drops

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Does anyone know what would cause an Router Board (have used both RB411 and RB711) with a 2.4 GHz radio acting as a CPE to lose association throughout the day to the Mikrotik Groove 2.4 GHz AP in my neighborhood? I'm only about 100 yards at most from the AP (with an Omni Antenna).

My CPE shows the following errors throughout any given day repeating as often as several times an hour.
oct/21 08:40:33 wireless,info D4:CA:6D:30:9B:9D@wlan1: lost connection, not polled for too long
oct/21 08:40:37 wireless,info D4:CA:6D:30:9B:9D@wlan1 established connection on 2422, SSID AP-NAME

When this occurs I have no service for the several seconds until the CPE re-associates which causes major problem with my voip (either multiple seconds (around 4) of silence or a call disconnect).

I am not in control of the AP (My ISP is), but since I work as a Network Admin my provider has been kind enough to provide me full access to my CPE to help troubleshoot.

The only thing they have been able to do so far to help the situation is the lock my CPE to only scan one frequency so it re-associates quicker, but I still get a 1 to 2 second dead silence on my VOIP when this occurs.

My ISP is using 10 MHz channels, and my CCQ's are in the 93%+ range and at max speed for RX/TX, and are running Nstream.

Do you have any suggestions or idea what could be causing this or even better how to fix?

Jim

brainy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: lost connection, not polled for too long, wireless drops

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:35 pm

What ROS Version? There have been a lot of changes in the nv2 protocol.

jmatuska
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:05 pm

I think it is at 5.21. However it is using Nstream and not NV2.

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:35 am

What we found to help, on both the AP and client side make sure that the mode = 5ghz A (only, not a/n), set the rate-selection from advanced to legacy, and reboot the AP / CPE. We found that nstreme 'sometimes' doesn't like N rates, and that rate selection. Never worked out why and so far haven't needed too.

You could also (on the client side) do /interface wireless set 'xx' disable-running-check=yes, though this is only a work around that makes sense if you have a PPP on the wireless interface, not at all ideal.