Community discussions

PeteMCT
just joined
Topic Author

Access Point Monitoring

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:19 am

Hello All,
Can someone please guide me on how to monitor APs in a network environment where MikroTik is handling all the traffic?

Below is some detail on what exactly I am looking for.
I am using MikroTik as a hotspot gateway. It is running on Public Static IP. There are 10 APs connected to MikroTik which provides Wi-Fi services to my guests. I remotely manage MikroTik, and All the APs (using Port Forwarding on MikroTik). The problem is, I never get to know when some AP goes down. What I have to do is Login to MikroTik and ping all the APs manually and check which AP is not responsing. I am ok with this. But the problem is the down time. First I get complaints and then only I come to know and then troubleshooting takes more time. I want to reduce response time and down time so that I can resolve the issue before it actually arises. What I am trying to achieve is whenever an AP is down, I would like to receive an alert from MikroTik by email. It can be a ping at a regular interval by MikroTik to AP. I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Access Point Monitoring

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 am

Have a look at The Dude (MT's own monitoring tool) or, if you want something bigger and better (and significantly more difficult to configure), Nagios.
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je