Community discussions

MikroTik App

MrFloppy
Topic Author

troubles using mktk as a dhcp client

Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:10 am

Hi again...

I have a little problem..

I have two atheros connected to MT, both in ap mode.

How can i turn one of the atheros into client mode ? should i turn it to "bridge" ??

i want to connect one of the atheros to a friend network but the DHCP client dont want to give me the addresses.

How can i configure mktk to use it as a client ???

best regards...

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:36 am

Just change this wireless interface to station mode and use your friends SSID. Assign a static IP address on that wireless interface. Use a different subnet on your side than your friends network and route between your networks by assigning a static route on both side pointing at each others network. If you want to bridge, which is more complicated, take a look on this guide.

http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.9/in ... #4.13.21.2

MrFloppy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:59 pm

OK...reading the document its easy to make the connection whit my friends network.

But what happens if i don´t know the IP ranges of any other network ?

i.e.. how can i configure the mktk so it automatically get an IP via DHCP ?

What i want is connect one of the atheros as a client, but not using static IP. I want to know why mktk dont get the IP when i try to connect it to any other network.

The DHCP client dont do nothing besides show me a "searching" message.

I have made tests whit a Linksys AP and get the same problem.

Im very sure that is not the AP, because when i connect my laptop via wireless, it easily retrieve the IP.

What could be the problem ??

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:18 pm

First you have to decide if you are going to bridge or route, and if you decide to route, then it's not a good idea to use DHCP due to the fact that routing will stop working if you get a new IP address from the DHCP server.

MrFloppy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:23 pm

i just want to connect me to another AP as a client.

The other AP will route ports to mi MKTK.

But for that, first i need to retrieve a DHCP IP.

Regards....

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:57 pm

How is your configuration, have you defined any firewall rules? Can you give us some more information, otherwise it's impossible to tell. Please, issue some commands and copy & paste the result here. The more info the better! Also add the appropriate information from the log.
Last edited by Borage on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:04 pm

Did you configure the DHCP-Client in the IP submenu? DHCP is not automatically assumed on the Mikrotik, it requires configuration.
MTRouterOS>ip dhcp-client add interface=<atheros_wlan> add-default-route=yes use-peer-dns=yes disabled=no

MrFloppy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:27 pm

I did that via Winbox, but when i make a survey an click on "connect", the DHCP client dont show nothing but a "searching" message.
It never gets any IP.

I was thinking that maybe could be a configuration problem. Actually i have the adaptor that i want to use as a client in AP Mode. I switch this same adapter to "bridge" or to "station" but the result is the same.

Any ideas ?

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:38 pm

I did that via Winbox, but when i make a survey an click on "connect", the DHCP client dont show nothing but a "searching" message.
It never gets any IP.
You already said that in your second post and my crystal ball is broken so I can't help you, and probably nobody else until you provide some more information. It's completely impossible to guess what actually cause your problem and nobody has time to do that, because we have our own problem to solve or systems to configure. Do as I said in my previous post, at least provide the log.
Last edited by Borage on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cibernet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:29 am

That´s right.... provide us more details... and post you configuration...

Regards

zaterio
just joined

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:35 pm

I have the same problem than Mr Floppy:

Mikrotik v 2.9.10 with a atheros wireless NIC (Dlink DWL-A520) called wlan1....the interface is set in station mode, I want to connect the wlan1 to a linksys WRT54g who is DHCP-sever.

in mikrotik the dhcp client is configurated to listen in wlan1 in the habitual way:

ip dhcp-client add interface=wlan1 add-default-route=yes use-peer-dns=yes disabled=no

in the wlan1 station mode all is configurated with the linksys parameters: essid, channel, etc

The wireless status windows in mikrotik says: conceted to essed, but the DHCP-client never gets IP from the Linksys..

What Can I do???

In Mikrotik 2.8 the card (wlan1) work very nice in all the modes but I dont want to downgrade

No firewall rules in Mktk
No Queues in Mktk

Thanks in advance

zaterio

zaterio
just joined

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:39 pm

My laptop gets IP from the WRT54G with no problem.....

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:05 pm

Maybe there is a mismatch in the wep/wpa key, if that is enabled in the Linksys router. One problem I discovered was that the WI-FI card sometimes got an IP address from a DHCP server on the LAN interface right after I enabled DHCP client on the WI-FI card. This problem disappeared after a reboot of the system, so try that and see if that helps.

tully
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:21 pm

I had a problem like that and it took me a while to figure out -- but I can't remember the details, but I think it was something to do with the Dlink getting an IP from the DSL that was in the same subnet as the DHSP server address... I think I changed the addresses that it would give out and things started working.

This might not help -- and I may just be confused.

John

MrFloppy
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:50 pm

What version of mikrotik did you use ????

Can you remember a little more details ???

Regards..

harpo
just joined

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:48 pm

Hello

First of all, i´m sorry my bad english

I have the same problem.
My routerboard gets an ip address from a router with a dhcp server.
My dhcp client is configured in the wireless interface.
The mt is working in mode station and gets the ssid, channel... from the router,
I scan and connect and i get an ip address.
However, I´d like receive an ip address in my laptop throught the lan port.
The mt gets an ip address but the ip tool doesn´t receive response of any pc of my network.

Thanks...