Community discussions

MikroTik App

janreges
just joined
Topic Author

Bug in PPTP manual page?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 am

Hi,

i attach pptp-mikrotik.PNG file, which contains screenshot from this manual page: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/PPTP

Is there a bug on this screenshot? Some routes are defined in "add" section and immediately after that, "print" section shows different routes.

About my problem

We have 3 locations (office, datacenter1 [dc1], datacenter2 [dc2]).
Each location has some unique LAN subnets under it. From each location must be available all subnets from another locations.
For better availability, where one from VPNs is going down, entire network must work, without outage. So, there must be defined also fallback-routes with different distance/priority.

Up to this time, we have this configuration:

office - RB493G (client pptp-office-to-dc1, server pptp-dc2-to-office)
dc1 - RB750G (client pptp-dc1-to-dc2, server pptp-office-to-dc1)
dc2 - RB750G (client pptp-dc2-to-office, server pptp-dc1-to-dc2)

On each location are defined static routes (>ip route), to another locations with different distance/priority (distance 0 for direct-VPN, and distance 1 for fallback-VPN).
Now it works great, but problem is, that some our static routes have defined "Gateway" for example "<pptp-office-to-dc1>" (so, dynamic PPTP server). When this PPTP server is going down, route is broken with "Gateway = unknown" (but not always, only sometimes). This problem is also described here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61932

What is best configuration for our setup?

Maybe we must have on each location some static routes (in >ip route) for PPTP client and also, in defined PPTP secret (which is defined for PPTP server) have filled "Routes" parameter?
It's correct?

In the near future we plan to buy 3 x CCR1016. Probably will be better (for security & performance) to switch to IPsec, which is hardware accelerated on CCR1016 CPU. Or, do you have some other tip for our setup?

Thank you for you help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Bug in PPTP manual page?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Yes, it is typo in documentation.
For 3 locations static routes should work perfectly.

ohara

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Why it's not been fixed yet?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Now, it is fixed. Thank you.

ohara

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I don't want to be a pain, but it's still incorrect. I used the example in a recent workshop, that's why I'm pointing it out. Thanks.