MikroTik App

Premier
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

29 mile link -What should I expect

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi Guys,
I use Mikrotik a lot for routing, pppoe and all that, but would not be familar with the wireless end of things.
I am confused between Nstream and NV2.

Basically at the moment I have 2 30db Rocked dishs with ubnt rockets. Signal at both ends are -59/-61.
I have regular traffic of 20Mb accross the link, and I can stress this to 35Mb using internal speed tests.
I should be able to pull a lot more accross this.

If I were to use 2 rb433's at both ends with the Rocked Dishs using NV2, would I see much of an improvement in throughput?

Premier
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: 29 mile link -What should I expect

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi,
Both sides are syncing at 52/130. Airmax is on and NOACK is enabled. We are using 20Mhz channels.
I have shield kits ordered, and should be here any day now.
Noise floor is -93. Each site is our own with a lot of 5.8 gear at both ends but we have band plans in place giving each channel in use a 20Mhz guardband.

snowcrash
just joined

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:52 pm

I have a few 30+ mile links running both ubnt and mikrotik. No matter what radio we use on our ubnt antennas we always use the shield kits. The mikrotik links we use a ubtik from Baltic that is a RB/411AH with a R52Hn card in an outdoor enclosure that snaps right on the rocket mount. Makes for a very clean install and very user friendly when it comes time to work on it. The major difference I notice between the rockets and the ubtiks is the noise floor is way better on the mikrotik and they don’t seem to rate flap near as bad as the rockets. Also it is way easier to trouble shoot problems in mikrotik verses the rockets. On our mikrotik based PTP at 20+ miles on a 20Mhz channel and nstream we see upwards on 40 - 50Mb of traffic with almost no latency. Our rocket based links at same distance we see 20 - 30Mb at most. Wish I would have found the ubtiks sooner as we are going around swapping all rockets over to them now.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi,
Both sides are syncing at 52/130. Airmax is on and NOACK is enabled. We are using 20Mhz channels.
I have shield kits ordered, and should be here any day now.
Noise floor is -93. Each site is our own with a lot of 5.8 gear at both ends but we have band plans in place giving each channel in use a 20Mhz guardband.
What is your TX CCQ on the end with a TX air rate of 52Mbps? 80%? Lower?

What is your Airmax capacity and quality?

I would guess you have self-interference on the end with the RX air rate of 52Mbps. If your signals are around -60 at each end, you should have air rates which are the same in both directions.

The shield kits will probably help.

An unshielded dish "hears" anything that the feed horn can see. I'm guessing you have other gear on the same tower which this link can hear with signals above -50 on nearby channels. Without shields, we've seen some colocated equipment see other backhauls at -18. I'm not sure how deep the cutoff is on a UBNT radio 20MHz from the set channel. But even if it's 40db down, it could still hurt. I have not looked for specs. Without tight bandpass filters, you can still be overloading your receiver even with a 20MHz guard.

If one of your other links uses DFS frequencies they can detect radar and jump to some random non-DFS frequency and cause you a lot of problems. We had a good link start giving us fits. It turned out that a backhaul 180 degrees from the problem link had jumped to the same frequency after having been okay on it's DFS frequency for more than a year.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23 pm

but they do not do wireless as well as Ubiquiti.
:lol:
let's see:
1.BulletM can pass ~75mbps, Groove 110mbps
2.Rockets Ti broke after a few days of use, read on their forum
3.a lot of people complains of sudden death of tens and hundreds of radios (AG) in an couple of days.
4.Rockets are champions at self interference
5.a virus ravages the airos
6.wonder GPS is not working
and so on...where is the "well" in these radios? A nice plastic case?
I am a fan of Nanobridge and Airgrids. :D
If I were to use 2 rb433's at both ends with the Rocked Dishs using NV2, would I see much of an improvement in throughput?
Why RB433? The sistems will be more expensive and 100mhz slower than 2xRB711G 5HND and no gigabit. Is very important to use a metal box for them.